cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I have both a personal Dropbox account and a team member account?

Why can't I have both a personal Dropbox account and a team member account?

New member | Level 2

I've used Dropbox for years on my personal account, but now I'm thinking about switching. One of my collaborators asked me to join a team, and I am unwilling to have someone else be the administrator of all the files on my personal account. The only other option seems to be to create an entire new account for this one team, which seems ridiculous. Why don't teams work like shared folders? Am I missing something?  

1 Reply 1

Re: Why can't I have both a personal Dropbox account and a team member account?

Dropboxer

Hi @hodgepodge1, thanks for messaging the Community!

When you join a team, any files in that account would belong to the team admin, including the email itself, for the security of the team admin.

Since none of your files would remain private to yourself, there is the option to create a new account and move your files there. If you prefer to keep your current email on your personal account, you could have the team admin invite another email you own to join the team, so you'll keep both accounts separate.

You can later connect them so that both accounts can sync under separate Dropbox folders and email accounts on your machine 

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?