cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why no easy backup solution?

Why no easy backup solution?

lrose44
Helpful | Level 5

Why are there no simple, automated 3rd party services that backup dropbox data? We have a business account and have far too many files to sync to 1 computer and then backup that 1 computer. Not to mention the fact that no one account has access to all of our files.

From everything I understand, Dropbox is NOT a backup service, it's a file syncing tool. Other file storage systems have 3rd party integrations (Google Drive, O365 have Spanning, Backupify. Box.com has other integrations also.)

Is Dropbox built in a way that doesn't allow an easy 3rd party integration?

Backing up your data in multiple places seems like a very common best practice, and yet, it's not simple with Dropbox. 

I'm hoping I've just overlooked something. Please let me know if you have a solution in mind.

Thanks!

Larry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

wrote:

Why are there no simple, automated 3rd party services that backup dropbox data?

That's not something that anyone here can answer. Dropbox has no control over what products are created by third-party service creators.

Absolutely not. There's an entire API specifically for the purpose of integration, and there are MANY third-party products, apps and services that utilize it, such as Mover.io, which is made specifically to tranfer data between cloud-services.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

wrote:

Why are there no simple, automated 3rd party services that backup dropbox data?

That's not something that anyone here can answer. Dropbox has no control over what products are created by third-party service creators.

Absolutely not. There's an entire API specifically for the purpose of integration, and there are MANY third-party products, apps and services that utilize it, such as Mover.io, which is made specifically to tranfer data between cloud-services.

View solution in original post

lrose44
Helpful | Level 5

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the response. 

Point taken that Dropbox doesn't have control over what products are created by a third-party. I do find it interesting that the services that offer backup (Spanning, Backupify, Cloud Ally, etc.) have options for GDrive, Sharepoint and/or Box, etc. but no option for Dropbox. If it was easy to provide a Dropbox solution, why wouldn't they? 

Either way, my question still stands, is there an easy way to backup dropbox for business data? Mover.io provides syncing capabilities but that's not what I'm looking for. Do you know of any services that backup? Or even a recommendation for a more manual process? 

Right now, all of our eggs are in the Dropbox basket and I don't think that's best practice.

Thanks!

Larry

Jay
Dropboxer
Off the top of my head, there aren’t any third-party apps that can backup your entire Dropbox account to another service.

The API should give enough for developers to work with however. There are some partners here for Dropbox Business teams that deal with data migration, including Mover.io which you mentioned. It might be worth checking them out to see if they provide a service that suits you.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Need more support?