cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox right click context menu missing

Dropbox right click context menu missing

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi guys,

today, probably after downloading and installing latest stable release a Dropbox, the context menu disappeared from Windows Explorer.

Dropbox version: 183.4.7058

Windows 10 version: 22H2 OS build 19045.3448

Unfortunately I am not sure, what version was installed prior to update.

Any ideas to solve this? Was reading older posts of same issue and not sure how to proceed? Downgrade to older stable and disable updates for a while?

Thanks Petr

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi all,

Jumping in here, as our team would like to share some insights that may be helpful:

This issue may be related to other applications on your computer that use the icon overlay and context menu functionality of your Operating System.

If you are on Windows, please note that Windows has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load, and the operating system reserves 4 for its own use.

If there are more than 15, then the Dropbox icons or context menus may not show. To fix this and move the Dropbox sync icons to the first 15 positions:

1. Follow the steps in the following article to open your Windows 10 registry editor (applicable to Windows 11 also):
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-open-registry-editor-in-windows-10-deab38e6-91d6-...
2. A “Registry Editor” window will open.
3. Navigate through the following folders: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” > “SOFTWARE” > “Microsoft” > “Windows” > “CurrentVersion” > “Explorer” > “ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers”.
4. Rename (right-click and click Rename) the files, so that the Dropbox files appear in the first 15 files in the list. You can do this by putting spaces in front of those file names, so that they move higher up in the list.
5. Close and restart both of your computer and the Dropbox desktop app.

Thank you,
Sam

View solution in original post

56 Replies 56

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Superpetak, thanks for flagging this with us.

I guess you've already rebooted your computer so could you please let us know if the app is 'up to date' or still syncing? Also, can you send us a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on files in your Dropbox folder?

Keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

yes I have tried all the usual troubleshooting (was reading old posts regarding this issues) including rebooting.

The Dropbox is not fully synced as I am uploading approx. 7-10 TB of data, which is taking weeks. But the context menu should be (and always was) available even during syncing.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 182916.png

Screen attached - nothing to see there :]

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

UPDATE:

- reinstall the 183.4.7058 (same version) + reboot // NOT FIXED
- reinstall the 183.4.7058 (same version) via Offline installer + reboot // NOT FIXED

- uninstall + reinstall the 183.4.7058 (same version) via Offline installer // NOT FIXED

- downgrade/reinstall the 183.4.7058 by version 182.4.6427 via Offline installer // FIXED

Screenshot 2023-09-25 195135.png

I downloaded Offline installer the from here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-182-4-6427/td-p/711916 and just install over the older version.

I will now test if I am able to reproduce the whole issue on other machines and also what happen when Dropbox update to the latest.

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

UPDATE

As I am testing more, its obvious this is not solely problem of the Dropbox client version.

- I found another machine with same Windows version AND same Dropbox version, which is working fine.

- Also, after the Dropbox auto update bump me on a latest version again the context menu disappeared again, but after restart, the menu is FIXED.

Now I am focusing on other Windows accounts, as this issues are affecting machines having multiple Windows Accounts, each with is own Dropbox client for different user.

Machine A has 4 Windows/Dropbox Accounts -- ISSUES REPORTED

Machine B has 2 Windows/Dropbox Accounts -- SEEMS OK

Are there any limitations on amount of Dropbox installation per single physical Windows 10 device?

Any other suggestions from your side? We have 2 paid plans - Business Advanced and Business Standard plans for multiple users, I will expect more activity on your side (its 8 hours since report).

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

UPDATE

On the Machine A with 4 Windows/Dropbox Accounts seems to help when I:

- Quit Dropbox client

- Delete all content from dropbox folder

- Start Dropbox client and re-sync the files

For some users this will be really pain, as they work with TBs of data...

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Digging deeper, I found that on the Machine A with 4 Windows/Dropbox Accounts, two of them are on different Dropbox account, has some different options in the Settings panel - Sync Option that the other two accounts:

Screenshot 2023-09-25 215531.png

Screenshot 2023-09-25 215858.png

  

Both clients are the same version so I assume you are running some BETA testing there?

I would like to ask you on how to remove us from this beta testing.

The option for EARLY ACCESS is DISABLED on both accounts and I am not willing to beta test your product as a paid customer.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for all the details you've shared here, @Superpetak!

Are all of the Dropbox accounts you mention on the same plan?

If one of your desktop apps was running the beta app version/experimental build, you should be able to see it if you hover over the small Dropbox icon in your system tray. 

Do any of these devices run an app version that looks like this XXX.3.XXXX?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi all,

Jumping in here, as our team would like to share some insights that may be helpful:

This issue may be related to other applications on your computer that use the icon overlay and context menu functionality of your Operating System.

If you are on Windows, please note that Windows has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load, and the operating system reserves 4 for its own use.

If there are more than 15, then the Dropbox icons or context menus may not show. To fix this and move the Dropbox sync icons to the first 15 positions:

1. Follow the steps in the following article to open your Windows 10 registry editor (applicable to Windows 11 also):
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-open-registry-editor-in-windows-10-deab38e6-91d6-...
2. A “Registry Editor” window will open.
3. Navigate through the following folders: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” > “SOFTWARE” > “Microsoft” > “Windows” > “CurrentVersion” > “Explorer” > “ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers”.
4. Rename (right-click and click Rename) the files, so that the Dropbox files appear in the first 15 files in the list. You can do this by putting spaces in front of those file names, so that they move higher up in the list.
5. Close and restart both of your computer and the Dropbox desktop app.

Thank you,
Sam

iNfeRnO B.
Helpful | Level 6

... Did Dropbox automatically select their own reply as an "Accepted Solution" here just to close the ticket?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    plannerguy New member | Level 2
    alonzo86 Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?