cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on a Business Advanced account - but one of our team's computers almost full.

Highlighted

Working on a Business Advanced account - but one of our team's computers almost full.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This probably comes under the heading of '...but there's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza...' but here goes...

1. I have a consulting company with alliances with a number of businesses and clients and have a number of parallel projects going at any one time
  2. My wife and I also have an import export business
  3. I would like to use 1 dropbox account to serve both purposes/companies.
  4. I want the functionality of being able to have a lot of space (I do not need unlimited space) for both of us; to be able to restore files that have been deleted; and, to be able to have some files and directories that are stored in the cloud and not on our laptops (i.e. to save room). 

I recently upgraded to Dropbox business advanced as I wanted the ability to share one account with my wife and me and thinking/hoping that account would satisfy the above criteria.  I tool out of 1 month trial - I still have a few days to go until it turns into a fully paid subscription.

some questions and potential issues:

1. there are only 2 of us - I don;t need (nor want) a 3rd account - that business advanced seems to demand I pay for (even if I don't use).
  2. My wife's laptop has very little HDD space left - one of the reasons for us making this move so we can have some files on-line only.  When I sent her an invitation to join my business account (as a second user), it says she does not have enough HDD space. By virtue of me giving her access to this business account, is dropbox (trying to) install all my Dropbox files also on her laptop?  

What;s the best solution to this?  I don't really want to smart sync>online only all of my files just so her laptop doesn't fill up.  

Hope you can help with this.

many thanks -

GIWI

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: business advanced account - but one of our team's computers almost full

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Giwi, hopefully we’ll close the loop here; thanks a lot for posting us your inquiry on our Forum! 

I’ll try to address each one of your questions below separately, in order to make sure I’m following-up with you correctly & we can discuss it based on your needs or choices. 

1. I would like to use 1 dropbox account to serve both purposes/companies.

Great, you could do that with a Dropbox for Business account. You can keep everything neatly organized under one subscription, so long as your folder-structure reflects your current projects (i.e. I’m assuming that you’re mostly working with shared folders at the moment, since you’ve mentioned that you’re working on the team with your wife)

2. I want the functionality of being able to have a lot of space (I do not need unlimited space) for both of us; to be able to restore files that have been deleted; and, to be able to have some files and directories that are stored in the cloud and not on our laptops (i.e. to save room). 

Following, I’ll quickly link our Plans page as a point of reference in regards to your quota needs & available file recovery options. From there, depending on your needs, you may combine our Selective Sync & Smart Sync features to save up some space & keep only the files you really need available across your devices. 

3. there are only 2 of us - I don;t need (nor want) a 3rd account - that business advanced seems to demand I pay for (even if I don't use).

Currently, the smallest Dropbox Business plan is for 3 users, though as you’ve mentioned that you don't need 3 licenses, then each individual account holder could sign up for an individual Dropbox Plus or Professional account instead (& I’d like to point you on our Plans page again about that). 

$. ...it says she does not have enough HDD space. By virtue of me giving her access to this business account, is dropbox (trying to) install all my Dropbox files also on her laptop?

I’m assuming that you’re the team admin, so I’m wondering if you’ve chosen to start new files as Local on your Smart Sync settings. If so, then it’s worth mentioning that you can overwrite the default setting on your desktop for newly added content: 

• Admin default: the default setting chosen by your team admin.
  • Local: all new content downloads to your computer.
  • Online-only: manually download files to your computer when you need them

Let me know how these options work for you & I’ll do my best to check back with you. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: business advanced account - but one of our team's computers almost full

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Giwi, hopefully we’ll close the loop here; thanks a lot for posting us your inquiry on our Forum! 

I’ll try to address each one of your questions below separately, in order to make sure I’m following-up with you correctly & we can discuss it based on your needs or choices. 

1. I would like to use 1 dropbox account to serve both purposes/companies.

Great, you could do that with a Dropbox for Business account. You can keep everything neatly organized under one subscription, so long as your folder-structure reflects your current projects (i.e. I’m assuming that you’re mostly working with shared folders at the moment, since you’ve mentioned that you’re working on the team with your wife)

2. I want the functionality of being able to have a lot of space (I do not need unlimited space) for both of us; to be able to restore files that have been deleted; and, to be able to have some files and directories that are stored in the cloud and not on our laptops (i.e. to save room). 

Following, I’ll quickly link our Plans page as a point of reference in regards to your quota needs & available file recovery options. From there, depending on your needs, you may combine our Selective Sync & Smart Sync features to save up some space & keep only the files you really need available across your devices. 

3. there are only 2 of us - I don;t need (nor want) a 3rd account - that business advanced seems to demand I pay for (even if I don't use).

Currently, the smallest Dropbox Business plan is for 3 users, though as you’ve mentioned that you don't need 3 licenses, then each individual account holder could sign up for an individual Dropbox Plus or Professional account instead (& I’d like to point you on our Plans page again about that). 

$. ...it says she does not have enough HDD space. By virtue of me giving her access to this business account, is dropbox (trying to) install all my Dropbox files also on her laptop?

I’m assuming that you’re the team admin, so I’m wondering if you’ve chosen to start new files as Local on your Smart Sync settings. If so, then it’s worth mentioning that you can overwrite the default setting on your desktop for newly added content: 

• Admin default: the default setting chosen by your team admin.
  • Local: all new content downloads to your computer.
  • Online-only: manually download files to your computer when you need them

Let me know how these options work for you & I’ll do my best to check back with you. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?