cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Administrator Deleted Your Files (6 years of data gone!?)

Your Administrator Deleted Your Files (6 years of data gone!?)

New member | Level 1

I have had a dropbox pro account for many years.

Last Sunday I was invited into a dropbox business team so I joined thinking I would be part of a team, but ended up having all of my own pro files sit under the client's team umbrella which was a huge security compromise due to important private data

Now I asked the admin to remove me when I realised what was going on because I wasn't able to remove myself or leave their business team.

I received a notification saying "Your Administrato has deleted your dropbox account" and now dropbox has completely been removed and I cannot find any files whatsoever.

There's 6 years of gold and it's all gone.

I tried signing in as my main account but it keeps telling me "your account was deleted, please contact your admin" - while I can't even sign up as designer@jstyla.com because the account already exists. So I cannot login or sign up - I'm lost!

Please help. this is very urgent

6 Replies 6

Re: Your Administrator Deleted Your Files (6 years of data gone!?)

Super User alumni

You need to speak to the admin of the Dropbox for Business account, who can log a support request to get your account reinstated as a normal Dropbox account.  Once you join, a Dropbox for Business administrator has no ability themselves to give you the account back, they must log a support request to do so.

New member | Level 1

Well this is embarassing.

I had to reach out to the administrator of the business account and he reactivated my profile, and confirmed all my personal and artwork files were all under his umbrella which is extremely frustrating.

Why Dropbox allowed the business pro account to retroactively access everything of mine is beyond me. I should have been given the option to select which files were shared but instead, dropbox just went ahead and submitted my files to a team and then allow the administrator to forfeit my control over files I have created and had control over for many years.

I'm now waiting for my 90'000 files to sync again before thinking about how I can remove all the files from the dropbox server so nobody else has access to it.

New member | Level 1

@Richard

Thank you for your reply. I am now an administrator of the business account and so I will create a support request.

Super User alumni

Why Dropbox allowed the business pro account to retroactively access everything of mine is beyond me.

You allowed that during the process of accepting the Dropbox for Business invite - I have been through the process myself on several occasions, and I know that you are given the option of creating a brand new account to move your personal files to when accepting a Dropbox for Business invite.  If you do not take this option, your account and all its contents become owned by the Dropbox for Business account.

Dropbox didn't "just" do anything.

New member | Level 1

But why would I want to yield the whole account? It would make sense to select folders instead of unilaterally handing everything over under the account.

Why would I want to have several accounts with several businesses when I can hold one account, and have multiple folders / groups? I'm still the same individual. The synchronisation and permission method should be controlled on a folder level, not user-account level.  I accept that some companies require a closed system so I understand separate email IDs are appropriate for that, but I had history and my own pro subscription under dropbox so the system should have been able to recognise my account history.

By default, Dropbox should assume everything is personal. If I'm asked to join a business account, I should be able to select the folders I wish to submit towards the business account. It just doesn't make sense that a third party can sweep over my account and then delete me but retain all my years of files, while dropbox deletes and prevents me from having access to my own files because a third party member of whom had access for less than 24 hours decided I am no longer permitted to. 

I should at the very least be able to retain access to my own files even if I was careless enough to share permissions. Thankfully, the administrator was kind enough to reinstate my account and I'm able to retrieve my own files (of 6 years) through their dropbox folder (of a couple of days).

Super User II

But why would I want to yield the whole account?

Lots of people have personal accounts set up already using work emails. 

Ultimately, however, Dropbox only did exactly what you told it to do.

If I'm asked to join a business account, I should be able to select the folders I wish to submit towards the business account.

You cant select folders, but, it does almost force you to set up a second account for the Business data.

It just doesn't make sense that a third party can sweep over my account and then delete me but retain all my years of files, while dropbox deletes and prevents me from having access to my own files because a third party member of whom had access for less than 24 hours decided I am no longer permitted to. 

But, you told it to do that. It isnt just 'by magic'.

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?