cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

change name on contact for shared file

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Not sure this is the right forum, but here goes. I am the adminstrator of an organization's Dropbox. There is shared folder which I want to update for sharing. The email for teh shared contact stays the same but the contact name needs to be changed. Right now, everytime I type in the email address, the contact name shows up in the address line by default and I can't seem to figure how to change it.

e.g. existing: type in email address > shows up in address line as Central Assistant 

want new: type in email address and want it to show in address line as Comm_Cord

How can I override the default. I tried creating a new shared folder but the same thing happens.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: change name on contact for shared file

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey NWIPC, happy June & welcome to our Forum, I hope you're doing well today! 

Mark is right, hence it isn’t currently possible to remove a contact from your account at a later time if you’ve previously shared your files with them. I’m under the impression that the contact name change isn’t reflected on your end, though.   

Based on a small test I run on my end, the contact isn’t automatically updated to the new name, though (assuming that the second account has already been changed from Central Assistant> Comm_Cord) if you share a different folder with that user, the renaming will from that point on be reflected on your end as well. 

Hopefully this tip is helpful to you & please let me know here if you'd like me to clarify in more detail or I have misunderstood your request. I’m wishing you a relaxed weekend ahead! ⛱️

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
I'm am really sorry to say NWIPC but you cannot.

There is no way to change the learnt email address book :(

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey NWIPC, happy June & welcome to our Forum, I hope you're doing well today! 

Mark is right, hence it isn’t currently possible to remove a contact from your account at a later time if you’ve previously shared your files with them. I’m under the impression that the contact name change isn’t reflected on your end, though.   

Based on a small test I run on my end, the contact isn’t automatically updated to the new name, though (assuming that the second account has already been changed from Central Assistant> Comm_Cord) if you share a different folder with that user, the renaming will from that point on be reflected on your end as well. 

Hopefully this tip is helpful to you & please let me know here if you'd like me to clarify in more detail or I have misunderstood your request. I’m wishing you a relaxed weekend ahead! ⛱️

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?