cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to transfer all folders to a master account?

how to transfer all folders to a master account?

New member | Level 2

to keep all the folders under control I thougt the best way is to transfer all of them to a master account and just after share them with my team from there. on my opinion this should give me a better chance to control if something has been deleted or changed or even shared our of the team. Am I right?

The system to do it could be:

1) put all the folders of each person under 1 main folder (marketing manager will have all folders transferred to a main "Marketing Folder"

2) I share the Marketing Folder with the master account

3) I access the Marketing Folder and I switch the ownership to the master account

Done!

the only  difficult thing to do it is that most of the folders have shared subfolders and it won't possible to share the main folder without first unsharing the subfolders but this will take a long long time 

Do you have any idea on how to do it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: how to transfer all folders to a master account?

Dropboxer

Hey there @marcoviale - how are yo today?

From what I understand you'd like some assistance with managing your folder structure - riht?

Have you considered using Team folders instead of shared folders since you're on a business plan and that would enable you to monitor your team's sharing activity in a better and more efficient way?

Team Admins can create team folders in the admin console. If you're a team member and you'd like a new team folder, contact your admin for help.

In both shared folders and team folders, any additions, edits, or deletions that a member of the folder makes will sync to everyone else who's a member of that folder. Those changes can be tracked in your Events page or even from within your Activity tab from within the Admin Console. 

There are a couple differences between shared and team folders. Team folders automatically give functional groups the correct access level (view or edit) to the content they need (this is why I'm suggesting them in the first place Marco). Unlike team folders, shared folders can be shared with individual members.

Shared and team folders are also created differently. Only an Admin on your account can create a team folder, as team folders can only be made from within the Admin Console. This means that you can't convert an existing folder into a team folder. 

Finally, it's important to note that you can't share a team folder outside of your team. In sub-folders of team folders individual team members and people outside the team can collaborate along with team members in groups.

To learn more about shared folders and team folders, check out our Help Center: 

Shared folders - https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others

Team folders - https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/business/team-folders

In closing, as per your last inquiry, note that there's unfortunately no way to share a folder that already contains a shared folder. 

One workaround is to share a link to the parent folder of the shared subfolder. While this would give recipients of the link access to all folders in that path, any changes they make to files in that folder won't sync with your Dropbox. If you'd like to give them read-write access to the parent folder instead, you can unshare the subfolder, share the parent folder, and then share a link to the subfolder.

I hope this information gets you going and please let me know if you'd like me to clarify any of the above. Have a marvellous new Year too!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: how to transfer all folders to a master account?

Dropboxer

Hey there @marcoviale - how are yo today?

From what I understand you'd like some assistance with managing your folder structure - riht?

Have you considered using Team folders instead of shared folders since you're on a business plan and that would enable you to monitor your team's sharing activity in a better and more efficient way?

Team Admins can create team folders in the admin console. If you're a team member and you'd like a new team folder, contact your admin for help.

In both shared folders and team folders, any additions, edits, or deletions that a member of the folder makes will sync to everyone else who's a member of that folder. Those changes can be tracked in your Events page or even from within your Activity tab from within the Admin Console. 

There are a couple differences between shared and team folders. Team folders automatically give functional groups the correct access level (view or edit) to the content they need (this is why I'm suggesting them in the first place Marco). Unlike team folders, shared folders can be shared with individual members.

Shared and team folders are also created differently. Only an Admin on your account can create a team folder, as team folders can only be made from within the Admin Console. This means that you can't convert an existing folder into a team folder. 

Finally, it's important to note that you can't share a team folder outside of your team. In sub-folders of team folders individual team members and people outside the team can collaborate along with team members in groups.

To learn more about shared folders and team folders, check out our Help Center: 

Shared folders - https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others

Team folders - https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/business/team-folders

In closing, as per your last inquiry, note that there's unfortunately no way to share a folder that already contains a shared folder. 

One workaround is to share a link to the parent folder of the shared subfolder. While this would give recipients of the link access to all folders in that path, any changes they make to files in that folder won't sync with your Dropbox. If you'd like to give them read-write access to the parent folder instead, you can unshare the subfolder, share the parent folder, and then share a link to the subfolder.

I hope this information gets you going and please let me know if you'd like me to clarify any of the above. Have a marvellous new Year too!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?