cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

incompatible drive for business

Helpful | Level 5

I have recently had to uninstall and reinstall the dropbox app. when I install my personal account and set the destination to an external harddrive it works fine. But when I link my business account and set the destination to the same harddrive, it comes back "incompatible destination" please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: incompatible drive for business

Helpful | Level 5

I found a solution by trouble shooting the external harddrive. At some point the format for my harddrive changed. I reformatted it back to factory setting in a NTSF format and Dropbox sycned up. Thank you for all the responses and the help.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You can try contacting Support to ask for assistance, but external drives (along with networked or removable drives) are not officially supported.

Open your ticket here: https://dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus, Professional and Business users getting priority (longer for Basic users). If you have a Business account that includes chat and/or phone support, those options are available in your Admin console by clicking Help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @tptopus80, welcome to our community! 

Have a look at this page for info on moving your Dropbox folder, and reasons why it may not work out. If you continue to experience the issue, we should put you in touch with our support team for further troubleshooting. 

Let me know. 
Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@sanchez i am still having issues. this is an external harddrive that i was using as the location for both my personal and business dropbox account. i accidently hit a relink button when it was not reading the harddrive. now i have successfully put my personal dropbox on the external but it is still stating that the this location is incompatitable for the business account. how do i get in touch with your support to trouble shoot this?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@tptopus80 wrote:

how do i get in touch with your support to trouble shoot this?

Refer to my earlier response above.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey tptopus80, as I understand that you’d need some additional assistance, I’ve made sure to create a support request on our system on your behalf. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for our latest message and let me know here if you have any issues locating it? 

Thanks again for your checking in with us on the Dropbox Forum & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you via email, so as to move forward on this matter together. In the meantime, I'm wishing you a wonderful rest of the day ahead & take care! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I found a solution by trouble shooting the external harddrive. At some point the format for my harddrive changed. I reformatted it back to factory setting in a NTSF format and Dropbox sycned up. Thank you for all the responses and the help.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress here tptopus80, I was glad to hear that this no longer troubles you & you were able to get both accounts linked down to your desktop. 

Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch in case you’d like to share your thoughts or you have additional questions & we’ll make sure to check back with you in the best possible way. Until then, happy Dropboxing & take care! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?