cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete files in Dropbox from Mac

Delete files in Dropbox from Mac

sjh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I have recently downgraded my account after deleting a whole bunch of backups from the Dropbox folder on my Mac and discovering that I only need about 5GB.

The issue I'm facing is that the files I deleted from the Mac still appear in dropbox.com and marks it as "full".

How can I "sync" the Dropbox folder to dropbox.com?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Re: Delete files in Dropbox from Mac

Elixir
Super User

If it is not a huge number of files and folders, you can try deleting them via dropbox.com web interface and see if the sync resumes.

sjh
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for this. I did two things:

- Quit Dropbox.app and then reopened

this synced correctly and all the deleted files were in "Deleted Files" in dropbox.com but my Dropbox still shows as "Full"

- Went through the deleted files, one by one (there is no "Select All") and deleted them all permanently.

But my account still shows as "Full".

I have only 1.7GB of files in my Dropbox.app, how can I make my account recognise that?

Many thanks,

DukeBedford
New member | Level 2

I have a related question.  I use Dropbox for uploading and distributing Zoom session recordings upon request.  I would like to delete these large files from my Mac while still keeping them on Dropbox for distribution.  But if I delete them from the Dropbox folder on my Mac, they are also deleted from the Dropbox cloud.  Is there a way to delete the local copies but keep the uploaded ones?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DukeBedford New member | Level 2
    sjh Explorer | Level 3
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?