cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Basic: work within the box

Dropbox Basic: work within the box

ljackman
Dropbox Staff
Maximize your Dropbox account and work within the box. Dropbox transforms your folders into connected workspaces. Working within Dropbox allows you to keep your account tidy as well as navigate your virtual files. Dropbox is now my personal toolkit where I keep my files tidy and use features provided by Dropbox to make my virtual workspace functional. This saves me time daily. 

Find files faster 

You can spend less time searching for files and more time completing task with your Dropbox Basic Account. Think of your Dropbox folder as your own personal file library. You create the organization system for the files and folders, making locating files the least of your worries. 

Create a folder hierarchy

For my Dropbox file library I create a folder hierarchy by giving every file a designated home. When giving every file a home, I group folders and subfolders into categories that are useful to me. The hierarchy is created when I add fewer folders at the top level, then add more towards the bottom. Depending on the files, I also use intelligent filters and visual browsing to quickly find the content I need to streamline my workflow.

Ways to organize your foldersWays to organize your folders

Naming conventions

Establishing a naming convention that helps with grouping the folders has saved me time and energy when looking for files. I save several files for different parts of my workflow such as personal life, vacation life and family life, so using naming conventions is my saving grace. Some naming conventions that I’ve found helpful are listed below. 
  • Alphabetical order
  • Chronological order (YYYY-MM-DD)
  • Numerical order
  • By group (i.e., client, location, file type)

Adding tags

Adding tags to files and folders is also another way to keep tabs on your work. Using tags allows you to quickly search for a document or file that is tagged. Some tags you can use include, #family, #work, #school. Creating tags is just another technique you can use to locate files and folders quickly. 
Here’s how:
  1. Click the checkbox to the left of the file or folder you want to tag.
  2. Type your tag in the # Add a tag box in the right-side panel.
  3. Press Return (Mac) or Enter (Windows).
To search by tag, use the search bar at the top of your screen. You can also remove tags from a selected file or folder by clicking the X to the right of the tag.

How to add a #tagHow to add a #tag

Dropbox features

Working within Dropbox has allowed me to explore the additional features that Dropbox provides with the Basic Account. Some of these features include Dropbox Capture, Dropbox Replay and Dropbox Shop to name a few. 

DropBox Capture: The pandemic has pushed us to make the best out of our new reality through virtual communication, and Dropbox Capture adds to that convenience. Dropbox Capture allows you to get your message across with screenshots, GIFs, or simple videos recorded right on your screen. I’ve previously used Dropbox Capture to create video tutorials for my students and they found it fun and easy to follow. You can use Dropbox Capture to send video emails, tutorials, and much more. 

Dropbox Replay: Dropbox Replay on the other hand allows you to easily edit videos collaboratively. Do you sometimes need feedback from your best friend and get frustrated with trying to explain what part of the video you need help with? If you are a videographer, avid Tik Toker or create reels as a hobby, this Dropbox feature will make your video editing so much simpler. Dropbox Replay makes it easy to consolidate comments, take action on feedback, and finalize your video and audio projects in one place. And, when it's that easy, everyone loves it.

Dropbox Shop: My best friend who makes T-shirts uses Dropbox Shop as a virtual store. She easily set up her online storefront with pictures directly from her Dropbox account. You can setup your first listing in 3 clicks, customize your online storefront, and sell directly to your customers with products that you have available in your Dropbox Account.

Dropbox Password: Dropbox Passwords allows you to sync and store your passwords, generate new random passwords, and automatically capture and fill passwords on the web and in apps. You won't forget another password with this feature.

Working within Dropbox has allowed me to explore creative ways to stay organized and virtually connected. Exploring Dropbox has opened up doors for my friends and has truly served as a way for me to stay on top of my personal life. Learn more about how to work within the box by accessing Learn the Fundamentals course on Dropbox Learn. 
0 Replies 0
Need more support?