cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeing Up Space... Getting rid of deleted files for good!

Freeing Up Space... Getting rid of deleted files for good!

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

In another post I requested information regarding selecting only those files I wish to sync via Dropbox. Now I would like to know how to free up space from backed-up files that I do not wish to continue backing up in Dropbox. 

How do I free up space? I deleted the files. Then, I went to the Deleted Files folder to permanently delete then and was met with a message that deleting files does not free up space! What? And, indeed, I am still getting messages that my space is full and I need to upgrade my account to continue backing up those files I really do want to backup and sync between devices. Thank you for any tips!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Freeing Up Space... Getting rid of deleted files for good!

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

I restarted my MAC and waited a day. Now Dropbox is reflecting the deleted files and has reclaimed the space they were using. The end result is I am no longer out of space for my Basic Plan. I am no longer getting prompted to Upgrade my Plan!

In my case, somehow Dropbox had included an external HD as a "file" to backup. This particular HD is being used to backup my entire computer via a different application. Therefore, in essence, Dropbox was also attempting to backup my entire computer. Once I deleted the external HD from Dropbox, it ceased to backup my computer. But, it took restarting the MAC and waiting a day for the full effect of the change to take place. That is to say, Dropbox was still telling me I was maxed out of space for quite some time after I had deleted that HD from its file system. And, there is the problem of how did the external HD get in there in the first place? Doing a quick search, I have found that I am not alone in experiencing this phenomena. For me, it happened immediately after the last Dropbox update. I'm just happy this is no longer an issue. I hope if anyone else has experienced this, they read this thread.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@JMaldaner wrote:

How do I free up space? I deleted the files. Then, I went to the Deleted Files folder to permanently delete then and was met with a message that deleting files does not free up space! What?

To free up space you simply delete files in your account. As soon as a file is deleted, the space is available again. The message you received about about permanently deleting files and not freeing up space is accurate, but only because deleted files don't take up space in your account.

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks! That makes good sense. So, as a follow-up, is there a way for me to see exactly how much space I have left in my Dropbox account?

Mark
Super User II

@JMaldaner you can go to www.dropbox.com/account 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

OK, I am in the account and I see a total amount of space used. But, I really need to see a breakdown, by file, of space allocated. I still suspect a great many unintentional files are being backed up and synced. Though I have, apparently, stopped Dropbox from backing up my HD, I am not convinced that the files I wished to have deleted actually are gone. Surely, there is a way to see what is there and how the size of every file!

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

I restarted my MAC and waited a day. Now Dropbox is reflecting the deleted files and has reclaimed the space they were using. The end result is I am no longer out of space for my Basic Plan. I am no longer getting prompted to Upgrade my Plan!

In my case, somehow Dropbox had included an external HD as a "file" to backup. This particular HD is being used to backup my entire computer via a different application. Therefore, in essence, Dropbox was also attempting to backup my entire computer. Once I deleted the external HD from Dropbox, it ceased to backup my computer. But, it took restarting the MAC and waiting a day for the full effect of the change to take place. That is to say, Dropbox was still telling me I was maxed out of space for quite some time after I had deleted that HD from its file system. And, there is the problem of how did the external HD get in there in the first place? Doing a quick search, I have found that I am not alone in experiencing this phenomena. For me, it happened immediately after the last Dropbox update. I'm just happy this is no longer an issue. I hope if anyone else has experienced this, they read this thread.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JMaldaner Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?