cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail and Dropbox

Gmail and Dropbox

Amy
Community Manager
If you’re one of the 1.5 billion people who use Gmail, chances are you use it a lot! I know I do, anyway. And like anything you do often, it makes a lot of sense to make sure it works well, and we’re happy to say there is a Dropbox for Gmail Add-on that can help with that. 

What can I do with the Dropbox for Gmail Add-on?

With this add-on, you can make sharing and saving a lot easier and faster. No matter what browser or platform, and even on mobile, you can:
  • Share your Dropbox files directly through your Gmail account 
  • Save attachments from Gmail directly to your Dropbox account

Even better, admins can enable the Dropbox for Gmail Add-on for their entire team from within the Google Admin console, so you might not have to set it up yourself at all. 

How to install the Dropbox for Gmail Add-on

If your admin isn’t free, you can get the add-on yourself with a few clicks. Just head to your Gmail account, click the white plus sign (+) icon on the righthand sidebar. When you hover over the plus sign, you’ll see “Get Add-ons.” Search for Dropbox for Gmail, click Install and follow the easy steps from there! 

So now, whenever you’re out and about and someone sends you an important file by email, you can save it directly to your Dropbox account. Or even better, you can be the one sending emails with important Dropbox files right from your Gmail account. If you want to know more about this add-on, you can check out the Help Center article here

Do you use add-ons and integrations to make your day easier? What’s your favorite little hack? 
8 Replies 8

Chicola
Helpful | Level 6

in the last few weeks i got error message says : 

" This Chrome extension no longer works

Don’t worry—you can still save attachments to Dropbox and add your files directly to emails. If you’d like to keep using Dropbox for Gmail, install our Gmail add-on now. " 

the chrome extension is way better than the drobox for Gmail add on and i am not sure why it stopped supporting , i tried the tech support and couldn't get it work, tried clear history , disabled other extensions , uninstalled , every time got this error message and again the Dropbox for Gmail add on is very very limited vs the old school Extension 

Amy
Community Manager

Hi @Chicola, thanks for your feedback, can you let us know which features in particular you're missing and we can pass that on to the correct team? Thanks again, Amy 

Chicola
Helpful | Level 6

@Amy 
Thanks for your reply , 

1. First i think this add on is much slower than the previous one . 
Mac , pc , chrome , edge , each one of them was way slower than the 
2. You Cant send more than one file , if you want send few files from different folders the add on closes and you need to do it all over again . 
3. No " Recants Uploads " just like the older add on , on the new one you have only all your folders without the recent tab 

4. no search option , this is super crucial , especially for heavy users . 

5. i have further info about the tech support would can write further on private . 

Amy
Community Manager

Ok, thanks @Chicola, that's really helpful feedback and I've shared it on with the team now. 

bblu2095
Helpful | Level 7

I agree 100%. I recognize the "advantage" of using the new add-on framework, but the user experience compared to the extension is much worse. I think top of my list would be the "recent" items list, which is missing from the new add-on. In general, the new add-on feels a lot less "Dropbox-y", which I suppose is part of the point of standardizing around the Gmail Add-on format.

It would have been nice if the extension stuck around until the add-on has a feature/experience-parity.

Chicola
Helpful | Level 6

couldn't agree more , don't know exactly who and why decided to crash to zero the good old extension and to bring this one .

i have found myself working again with google drive as its way easier now compare to this recent Dropbox add on 

Chicola
Helpful | Level 6

@Amy any update soon ?

EllenYS
Helpful | Level 6

I totally agree with Chicola, the new add in's functionality is nowhere near that of the chrome extension. I am really disappointed. I had 17 photos on an email to add to dropbox. Previously you could upload in bulk, and if you did want to do it individually, the recent folder was up top. This meant uploads were quick and easy. I had to not only upload each file individually, remembering which file was already uploaded (there were no previews for the pictures, so I had to keep tabs on file names or numbers in the case for the photos). Even worse, I had to go through my whole file tree for each and every photo uploaded. And those photos were not for the first level or even second level folders! It would have been easier to download files to a folder on my computer and then upload from that local folder to Dropbox. Now does that really sound as if Dropbox has just made my life easier? Not! So disappointed as I only used dropbox with my gmail.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

EllenYS Helpful | Level 6
    Chicola Helpful | Level 6
    bblu2095 Helpful | Level 7
    Amy Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?