cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I clicked on something and now all my desktop files are backed up to Dropbox

I clicked on something and now all my desktop files are backed up to Dropbox

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox has suddenly started to sync ALL my files upon startup. If I remember correctly, after my most recent Safari update I got some sort of text box asking if I wanted Dropbox to sync my files. I assumed that this was required to continue getting the great support across all my devices for every file I store in Dropbox. Wrong! This was a ploy to have Dropbox become a backup of my entire HD! And, of course, almost immediately I ran out of Dropbox space and was prompted to upgrade my account! 😡

I have gone in and deleted all files from Dropbox that I do not want backed up there. But, today, THEY ARE BACK! 

So, what is the trick to get Dropbox to function as it always has... backing up and syncing only those files that I place there?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox Sync - on MAC

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @JMaldaner, thanks for reaching out. 

It sounds like you enabled computer backup on your Dropbox application. 

You can disable it, by following the steps in this article

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @JMaldaner, thanks for reaching out. 

It sounds like you enabled computer backup on your Dropbox application. 

You can disable it, by following the steps in this article

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

Hannah, I have followed all the steps. Now, when I open the app preferences and click the Backups tab I get the "Set Up" option under This Mac. So, it would seem that I have stopped the automatic computer backup. Not so fast! I tried to unmount my external HD, which is what Dropbox was using for its backup source. I got an error message telling me I couldn't unmount the drive because it was being used by Dropbox. Finally, I did manage to unmount the drive. I got a message from Dropbox telling me that backup would resume once the drive was mounted. And, when I mounted the HD, I got the Dropbox message showing me that it was going to backup the HD. I deselected all three options for doing so. But, I have done that in the past and for some reason Dropbox continues to try to backup that drive! That external HD is my backup drive for my computer. So, for some reason, Dropbox is intent on accessing the external HD.

JMaldaner
Helpful | Level 6

From another thread I got the suggestion to look in the directory for Dropbox and see if my external HD was listed. It was! I trashed the external HD from the directory and after restarting my MAC and waiting a day, all the space has been reclaimed and the automatic backups of my entire computer have stopped! Yes!!

That external HD is where I am backing up the computer via a different application. Thus, when Dropbox attempted to backup the HD, it was, in effect, attempting to backup the entire computer. Happy that this is no longer the case.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JMaldaner Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?