cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not 100% Sure how this works?

Not 100% Sure how this works?

Ben_McPhee
New member | Level 2

Hey guys, I've been a dropbox user for quite a while (A basic account, but might need to upgrade soon). 

When I started, I just put all the things I might need on other devices into my "dropbox" folder on my computer. It works as expected, in that with the Dropbox app on my phone I can get them there too, and if I sign into Dropbox on any computer I can retrieve them there also.

I don't think they're stored locally on my iPhone (Or are they?). They ARE however stored on my computer. If I add or delete an item there, it adds/deletes everywhere. And even though I never do, if I modify a file/folder in at Dropbox.com, or via my iPhone, it reflects locally too.

So I guess my questions are:
1. If I get 2TB of dropbox storage (bigger than my hard drive), how do I get it onto dropbox without ALSO storing it locally?
2. Can I delete a local version without accidentally deleting it from Dropbox?
3. Whatever the answers to the above, is this also how iCloud Drive and Google Drive work?

1 Reply 1

Re: Not 100% Sure how this works?

Rich
Super User II

@Ben_McPhee wrote:

So I guess my questions are:
1. If I get 2TB of dropbox storage (bigger than my hard drive), how do I get it onto dropbox without ALSO storing it locally?
2. Can I delete a local version without accidentally deleting it from Dropbox?
3. Whatever the answers to the above, is this also how iCloud Drive and Google Drive work?

For 1 and 2, you can use tools like Selective Sync and Smart Sync to save disk space locally without removing the files from your account online. For 3, you'd have to ask them.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?