cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

millerjb
Explorer | Level 4

I'm very strongly considering doing exactly what Scott C.67 did. If anybody at Dropbox is even paying attention, 10% discount is particularly silly. My wife and I each have a paid Dropbox subscription. If we switch to the family plan at OneDrive, it would be an immediate 50% discount. It's also a pain in the ass to have to switch, so chances are you're not going to see us back for any amount of discount. Please consider bringing back the green tick before it's too late. I'm sure for every customer complaining about it here, you have a bunch more who are silently frustrated.

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

It was a PIA to swtich, millerjb, I won't deny it. I had something like 80GB to transfer all told and, even with a 100Mbps connection, that's a lot of data to up and down to various synched machines. But... I felt strongly that I had to take a stand against complaints not being acknowledged and/or listened to.

That green tick is a little thing but an important thing, and if I'm paying over the odds for a service I want the thing that's important to me. I don't even care if Dropbox's flat-UI-obsessed management want to stick with the flat white icon as the default for 'synced': I just want the option for sane people who still appreciate non-flat UIs to re-enable the green tick. A literal tick box, that's all I wanted.

And yeah, me returning is gonna take a helluva lot more than a poxy 10% discount. I don't deny that a 75% offer might tempt me back but, that notwithstanding, all I really want for me to return is that little green tick.

pdc77
Explorer | Level 4

I've cancelled my subscription as well, and will be moving to OneDrive when it ends in a couple of months also.

I wouldn't have looked if it weren't for this green tick shenanigans, but it's 50% cheaper than my Dropbox plan, you get Office365 and I'm able to see and restore files I deleted a long time ago from OneDrive now.

So it's really a no brainer unfortunately, and I'm saying that as a Dropbox customer of 8 years...

Hilli
New member | Level 2

I was just checking in today to see that I'm not alone in this green check mark think and Im glad to see Im not. I use DropBox for backup as I work locally and it drives me CRAZY that the check marks are gone and I have to double check carefully that I'm copying the new files from the local folder and erasing the old files in DB because the folders look identical now. it's a small thing but so senseless. I use IneDrive as well, and I like not only their use of checkmarks but also how the little file icon shows a little process bar when the upload takes time so you can see just by looking at the folder and icons how long it'll take.
I can't believe this has been going on since October and DB doesnt change it back.
Like I said. Senseless.

RohitKumarBirla
New member | Level 2

Please bring back green tick.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this idea here!

While we can't take every idea forward, we do regularly re-review and will update you if anything changes.

Thanks again!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kelsey3
New member | Level 2

Please bring the green checkmark icon back. It is nearly impossible for me to tell if my dropbox files are up to date or if it is simply offline. I do not understand why someone would think it would be a great idea to make a visual queue the exact same icon, but simply change the shade of grey to indicate the status.

radioman
New member | Level 2

The green checks were the reason I went with Dropbox - It was reliable compared to Google Drive, etc. 

I have plenty of Google Drive space, so the advantage of Dropbox for me has been erased. 

Rednap
New member | Level 2

nice idea

Rednap
New member | Level 2

@wowtah wrote:

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

Need more support?