cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have different plans / price points / data combinations / plan sizes?

Can we have different plans / price points / data combinations / plan sizes?

Michel L.
New member | Level 2

Hi, I find limited in the choices of subscription plans. Basic/free and Pro/110$

I'd gladly pay something like 25$ a year for 50GB and a 2 users family plan.

Considering iCloud have a 12$ plan for 20 GB and 48$ for 200GB, that seems reasonable..

1,095 Comments
Rich
Super User II

Elizabeth R.10 wrote:
Other cloud systems have done so.

Other cloud systems are subsidized by the other services provided by those companies. They operate them as loss-leaders to get people in the door. Dropbox offers no other service but its cloud offerings.

AnotherSteve
Explorer | Level 4

They operate them as loss-leaders to get people in the door.

Rich, please help me and explain this situation:

After a long battle with Dropbox, me and my girlfriend had to sign up for something else. It's so weird, because we really wanted to become a paying dropbox customer. But we were simply forced to go away, as 2 x $99 is way too much.

So we went for Office Home. We both get 1Tb cloud, and we both get Office. How can Microsoft do that and not loose money?? We will never-ever buy anything else from Microsoft (being an apple family), so your argument doesn't make sense: what door and loss-leaders are you referring to? Please, don't tell me that Microsoft is loosing on this deal, and waiting silently for us to step further into their world. 

Our money could have gone to Dropbox.  Simply weird.

I wrote earlier: Dropbox could come up with a creative package that will prevent people from downgrading, while attracting newbies. For example, include Smart Sync in your $99 plan and offer faster upload speeds compared to "low fee" packages: you could throttle the upload speed (reasonably) for $3.99 / 50Gb users.

But hey, I guess Dropbox doesn't care about loosing people like us.

--------

PS.:I know that OneDrive doesn't have encryption for non business users, but with some free third party encryption tools, even that is solved.

Riko99
Explorer | Level 4

new idea, 100GB for 25 USD for year

Mark
Super User II

@Riko99 - thats, sadly, not a new idea. Its infact been requested repeatedly and turned down repeatedly. 

Elizabeth R.10
Explorer | Level 3

Riko99 suggested 100GB for $25 US a year. That's a great idea! I'd bet that 70-plus percent of non-business users would see that as a reasonable solution to their storage problem, and they would jump on the Dropbox bandwagon.

Dropbox could then create a graduated upward limit and pricing system as people save more photos and large files that begin to fill up their space. This would probably garner a great deal of positive (and valuable) attention in the media. It would also set the stage for emerging companies to begin using Dropbox and continue using it at a business level and beyond as they grow.

After all, Mark Zukerberg probably once used less than 100 gigs.

Mark
Super User II

@Elizabeth R.10 and that is exactly the issue. 

They all see it as being so good they DOWNGRADE. Thus the new $25 plan has actually just cost Dropbox $74. Whoops. 

AnotherSteve
Explorer | Level 4

@Mark and @Rich

They all see it as being so good they DOWNGRADE.

No, they will not IF the offering for $99 is so much better. I wrote this idea above multiple times, yet everyone just ignores it. What Dropbox should do is:

1) For $99

- Smart Sync

- faster upload speed

- no file limit

- 1TB

- and maybe, just maybe, develop an additional service, for example an app silimar to Evernote or a Password Manager..

2) For $ 25 or $39 or similar:

- no file versioning(!)

- a bit slower speed

- slightly limited number of file upload per month

- 100Gb or 50Gb

- no additional service

And voila, you will not loose old $99 customers and you will gain a lot of new ones, who otherwise go to iCloud, OneDrive etc. Is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

themis0888
New member | Level 2

This is really true. My local computer's space is less than 1TB, so this is totally useless. 

brklyn
New member | Level 2

I'm using 6GB now, I would happily pay for 10GB but not 100x it for $99/year. I understand how they lose money temporarily when they drop the price - because of course, if I was paying $99 for 1TB and only using 10GB, I would downgrade too. But there are so many of us for whom the math doesn't work so we never pay. I pay for space with Evernote, Box and icloud yet I've had dropbox longer. They've never made a compelling value proposition for me to pay for the service. :upside_down:

AnatoliyT
New member | Level 2

I have one more pricing proposal for Dropbox team review - 200Gb per $49/year.
All existing features that are available in free account should remain - only more disc space.

Pros:
- the difference in price in only 2x (not 3x-10x).
- the difference in space is also reasonable.

- this feature does equal (or even better) end user value than Google with its 100Gb per ~$20/year.

My assumptions:
- The existing individual $99/year clients who have used more than 200Gb from their 1Tb should not downgrade (due to loose of data).
- The existing individual $99/year clients who have used less than 200Gb will downgrade but still will pay $49/year.
- Quite many free users (including myself) will GLADLY move to new account - since Dropbox sync mechanism is really best-in-class and using Dropbox service is very comfortable and fluent.

Really hope that you continue following this thread and will review this idea.

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

471 votes received