cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have different plans / price points / data combinations / plan sizes?

Can we have different plans / price points / data combinations / plan sizes?

Michel L.
New member | Level 2

Hi, I find limited in the choices of subscription plans. Basic/free and Pro/110$

I'd gladly pay something like 25$ a year for 50GB and a 2 users family plan.

Considering iCloud have a 12$ plan for 20 GB and 48$ for 200GB, that seems reasonable..

1,095 Comments
pavichokche
Helpful | Level 6

I've been using dropbox for almost 10 years now, and I've never paid for any plan. Now that they imposed a limit on how many devices you can connect, the free plan is no longer cutting it for me. However, it's WAY more than what I need, and costs more than other companies. Dropbox is losing money on me by not offering a plan that's $3-6 and 15-50GB in storage, instead of the insane 2TB that almost no single user needs.

Please, Dropbox, now that you've put a device limit, and a very severe one at that, on your basic service you need to add a more reasonable alternative for your more advanced users. You can increase the device limit to 5-10 devices for that plan, which should still be pretty low for anyone who is paying for the more expensive plans.

Also, this whole "dropbox loses money because customers downgrade whenever they introduce cheaper plans" thing is so ridiculous. You're "losing" money because you've been gouging your users by not offering a diverse offering of products.

JohnBlaustein
Helpful | Level 6

The new terms for the Free Plan that limit me to three devices came as a shock!  I have four devices--desktop, laptop, iPhone and iPad.  I appreciate that I have been able to use Dropbox for free for several years, and I would be happy now to pay for it.  HOWEVER, for my relatively modest needs as an individual user, $10/month is more than I am willing to pay.  I currently have less than 12GB of free space, and that's ample for me.  The problem is the number of devices allowed.

Dropbox: please add a plan for those of us with very limited needs.  For example:

--50GB storage, 10 device limit, $36-60/year (paid annually)

--20GB storage, 6 device limit, $24-$36/year (paid annually)

I love Dropbox, but there are other good choices (as you well know).  Please give us non-business, personal users a break!

Thank you!

John

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox have trialled smaller plans and decided against them for a variety of reasons (including a trial last year if I remember rightly in Australia).

Simply put, it isnt going to happen, they've confirmed this on here a few times. Dropbox says that they are no longer just about the space, its the services offered so people need to be looking at the whole package.

JohnBlaustein
Helpful | Level 6

Mark,

Thank you for the reply.  The fact that Dropbox is unwilling to offer a smaller plan to match some users' needs is very disappointing.  I'm happy to pay for additional services (even though I don't need them), but the current Plus plan is simply overkill for my needs.  It is clear that I'm not the only user in this situation.

It seems Dropbox is going after large business users, and I'm sure that makes good sense financially.  However, I'll bet a lot of the people who use their business services also have personal Dropbox accounts, and I'd imagine some of them will be disappointed to be forced into the Plus account category.

John

Mark
Super User II

I agree, but, unfortunately its been the same since the Dropbox plans were 50gb for $9.99 (with people wanting smaller ones then).

Everytime they've trialled smaller plans so many people downgraded that they lost more money than made with new customers. I'd hazard a guess that this would be even more likely now due to the huge amount space being offered as standard.

So for you you need to think of 'is extra devices' worth the cost? If you want to get to unlimited then yes, it is. If not and you want to stick with three then stay free.

John R.80
Explorer | Level 3

I dont need double storage, I don't want Smart Sync, and we always had 30 days backup. Can I keep my $2? 

In fact, why not drop it to $5 and make it 500gb. Must you bleed ALL your customers, even the ones who don't even agree with the $10/mo it was? I mean, I'm only using 250gb, and most of it is client garbage I'd be happy to remove.

Oh, better yet, make it $2.50/mo and only give me 250gb. That would be AWESOME! Google has one at 200gb for $2.50/mo, why can't you do that?

But you won't. Your already screwing me up big time by dropping ExFat format. You know what, your right. I'm leaving. Too many other options out there to be dealing with your greedy bull**bleep**.
Don W.8
Helpful | Level 6

You had me as a customer for many years and I was comfortable paying $99/yr but I cancelled last year when it went up and requested smaller palns.  I and 1 person with 3 devices to sync and keep a backup of my phone pictures, not a corporation and personal business.  Please just bring back the 1TB for $99.  That alone will get me back as a paying customer.  Right now I'm balancing my free account with downloading files and pictures to my computer.  

oopgotoguy
New member | Level 2

I would buy 10 GB if they offer in the future, but 1TB is too much, think about how many students you will help.

or you can sell  1 GB for a high price but without a time limit, i would go for that 

kim G.10
Helpful | Level 5

That's such a good idea and would probably be very good for Dropbox too. 

I think what you're proposing is more than reasonable, it's essential.

frairo1076
Explorer | Level 3

Please ¿could you offer new plans whit less space but cheaper?

Can the community give me positive votes!!! I need 1 GB more

Thanks!

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

471 votes received