cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have different plans / price points / data combinations / plan sizes?

Can we have different plans / price points / data combinations / plan sizes?

Michel L.
New member | Level 2

Hi, I find limited in the choices of subscription plans. Basic/free and Pro/110$

I'd gladly pay something like 25$ a year for 50GB and a 2 users family plan.

Considering iCloud have a 12$ plan for 20 GB and 48$ for 200GB, that seems reasonable..

1,095 Comments
u_kadru
Collaborator | Level 9

Because they don't want to bother with users who pay less than 10 dollars a month. It's a legitimate business decision. I dislike that business model too but they decided they wanted to focus mainly on companies.

If you see their media posts and news, they're all about teams and companies. Personal users are category least cared for.

For me it means that I don't have many people who are willing to cooperate via Dropbox. They're all using services that cost less or services that offer more space for free. 

I'm personaly using it because of three things:

1. 3TB of space (they better increase this next year)
  2. Dropbox transfer
  3. Smart sync (which is unavailable on Google Drive personal and Onedrive for Win7)

Applepig
Explorer | Level 3

I suggest Dropbox should provide us with some lightweight plans, suchs as 100GB for $5/month. I think this makes more sense to Dropbox.

I use Dropbox to keep files sync on iPad and PC, both installed with SSD, and has a smaller storage space.
Dropbox keeps a copy of file on every device, and SSDs are usually too expensive to do so. Therefore I only need like 200GB or lower, 1TB or 2TB is too much. 

Paying $10 is not a very big deal, but paying for storage space I will never use prevents me for paying.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @Applepig. Welcome and Happy Friday! :grin:

I understand you need more than the free space you can earn, which is up to 16 GB, but less than our smaller paid plan which is 2 TB (Dropbox Plus). 

We appreciate your feedback on this and your time writing about this. 

If there is anything else we can help with, please visit the Community and let us know. 

Thank you! 

michael12412
New member | Level 2

I totally agree, Dropbox needs a lightweight plan. I was a happy Dropbox customer, but after the last price increase i canceld my account. 10 EUR / Month is too much for the usage i have. i only need 100GB, not 2.000 GB!

now i am using Google Drive for only 2 EUR/ month with 100GB storage.

Dropbox pricing is 5times or. 5.000% ! higher for me. Where is your competitive offer?

birchwood
Explorer | Level 3

Again I agree with the mojority. PLEASE dropbox can we have a smaller option!

You could compete with Google Drive, One Drive and anyone else.  Your UI is better, you don't convert the files to some funny format (google docs) and it just works!

2TB is too much for the majority.  I'd like something like 50GB but you could do a plan about £20-£25 for 500GB and compete happily with Google. This would be a reasonable price point.

I am also looking for some form of cold storage, but AWS and Google Cloud are far too complicated.  I just want to drop files into a folder in a drive. Leave them there and could live with some kind of AWS glacier timescales.  Write Once Read Many could also be good.  If you put some cold storage option along side, I'd go for it!

Another suggestion. I help manage a charity but we have had to move to Google Drive from Dropbox due to GDPR and the cost.  If we could have a cheeper and smaller plan, we could look at comming back. We are struggling to use Google and everyone found Dropbox better. You need to enable the data useage to be billed to the Charity.  So that everyone's personal accounts don't get wiped out by the files. We only need about 10GB at most - maybe 5GB! 

insilications
New member | Level 2

Sorry Dropbox. Your recent decisions are damaging your reputation. Also, Dropbox needs a lightweight plan. 2TB is too much even for some power users.

Sober
New member | Level 2

I love dropbox, but Apple offers a 200GB plan, 2TB is too much for me, I do not want to waste money on unused space.

So, I have to use iCloud now. Sad...

gamalmotaleb
New member | Level 2

hi, I just need to ask, why you do not have a plan to sell small storage capacity round 100 GB

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gamalmotaleb - welcome to the Dropbox Community and thanks for adding your voice to this feature request for smaller plans.

As your inquiry echoes the OP here, I moved your post under this thread to keep things neat around our Community.

Feel free to upvote it (by clicking on the like button) to show your interest in this!

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime. 

taoybb
Explorer | Level 3
Over half a year has passed from my last comment on June, just feel completely hopeless. And yes after being customer for many years now I just cancelled subscription already. Now starting to move on Google Drive from this year and so on. Their price (at the same storage size) are the same with Dropbox but what they have is smaller plan. I can afford a Dropbox plan but I wouldn't do since I used only 10% of 2TB so why pay for 2TB? Bye Dropbox.
Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

471 votes received