cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add/edit custom metadata to files or folders within Dropbox

Add/edit custom metadata to files or folders within Dropbox

Lindsay K.
New member | Level 1

Sample use case - I am storing files containing recipes in a folder on my dropbox account. I want to be able to add metadata fields to the file properties to store information such as number of calories per recipe, overall cook/prep time, number of servings, etc... Is there a way to do this currently or will dropbox allow for this customization in the future?

Latest Update
Megan
Dropbox Staff
This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.
Status changed to: Closed
15 Comments
DaveC2
New member | Level 1

They dont, they likely wont, but yes it would be possible to do.

Fernando B.5
New member | Level 2

Would be great if this can be implemented. In my case I want to store application specific metadata using the APIs.

Stijn B.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I was wondering whether Dropbox has any plans to offer the possibility for adding custom meta-data to documents and files ? Soms meta-data is automatically stored (file type, date, etc.) but it would be great to be able to add custom fields like "category", "project", "organisation", ... and also to be able to define the available values for each field. (Much in the way MS does with Sharepoint.) Until this becomes possible, Dropbox users are more or less obliged to stick with the constraineous management of files by using folders, subfolders, etc. in order to find everything. 

So Dropbox folks : any plans for this ?

Community : any thoughts ? Are there other people who feel this need ?

Cheers

Rich
Super User II
Dropbox doesn't comment on or provide timelines for upcoming features, nor do they tell us what features are coming. Simply put, we won't know of a new feature until it's officially announced.

Personally, I have no need for such a feature. Dropbox's main purpose is to sync a specific file structure between computers, so the current management using folders works just fine.
Stijn B.
Explorer | Level 4
Needs differ from user to user of course, and yes folders are fine in themselves, but the big inconvenience with a folder structure is that (a) when you don’t have a pretty precise idea of where (in which folder) you might have stored a file, you can spend a lot of time browsing through folders to find it, and (b) folders are non-exhaustive by nature and can overlap. Say you’re looking for a letter you received from your lawyer regarding a legal issue but in which the lawyer also included his invoice. Where to put this, in the folder « legal matters » or « invoices »? Working on a metadata basis instead of with folders solves these limitations. Although I agree that for certain well defined purposes a folder can be quickest.
craft
New member | Level 2

Would love to be able to edit file metadata within Dropbox.

Currently, in order to add Description Metadata to files on Dropbox, I have to download the files, add metadata on my computer via Bridge, delete the files on Dropbox, and reupload new versions.

AxelPale
New member | Level 2

An online tool to edit metadata would be cool. 

SpectateSwamp
New member | Level 2

I use long filenames for video curation (<=260chrs)

My app can use the filename to determine the start point for playback, speed, duration... etc
YYYYMMDD along with other details.. in the NAME no need for metadata tools ... nope

Curation can start in earnest as soon as the file is downloaded to your PC.
BearOnRoad20181018093017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDhTnR0hqbo

JEAGoodman
New member | Level 2

As a straight user of Dropbox (Not a developer) I would like to be able to assign metadata to files so that I can have more filter and find options within the web screen.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

This idea is going to need a bit more support.

We've updated the status to encourage more users to back you up!

Status changed to: Gathering Support
Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

15 votes received