cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Paper docs to existing Dropbox folder structure/file-system.

Saving Paper docs to existing Dropbox folder structure/file-system.

liz g.4
New member | Level 1

Hi

A number of us have started using dropbox paper at work. We want to save documents that we create in paper to an existing Team folder but I can't see how to do this. Any ideas anyone?

Latest Update
Megan
Dropbox Staff
This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.

Thank you for your suggestion, and if you have another idea to share, please do! 
Status changed to: Delivered
260 Comments
Bob R.4
Collaborator | Level 10

It is a bit of a headscratcher that Dropbox rolled out a major update that didn't make any integration changes to Dropbox and Paper. 

svdberghe
Explorer | Level 3

I currently use a complex hierarchy of folders and subfolders (only one level deep, because Evernote) in all my productivity applications and storages. I'd like to settle on a single app and to be honest, I'd like this to be Dropbox. However, the lack of this functionality keeps me from doing so, because I'd have to duplicate the folder structure for my notes, while the idea is that I have notes, other documents, images etc. logically grouped in their folders. Please allow us to store our dropbox paper notes together with our other dropbox stuff.

mil6seven6
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry if this has been mentioned before on one of the 16 pages of requests here, but as a workaround until Dropbox makes this possible you can create a URL shortcut file and save it in your desired dropbox folder.

We use Windows and Chrome and the easiest way to do this is with your dropbox paper doc open online in chrome, highlight the complete URL in the Chrome address bar and then drag and drop it into the dropbox folder you want to save it to on your PC using File Explorer.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

And to add to what @mil6seven6 mentions, you can also export Paper docs to PDF, .docx (Microsoft Word) or even .md (Markdown) by clicking on the ellipsis button on the upper right corner of your Paper docs and then 'Export'. After you're done with exporting the doc in question, you can copy or move the exported file, be it PDF, .docx or .md inside your Dropbox Folder - now living as a normal file among your other Dropbox files. 

I'd also like you to know that our team is always taking into account your feedback when creating the next versions of our apps and services so you can feel free to add your voice to this feature request by upvoting it (simply by clicking on the like button) or even commenting on this thread to provide us with your use-cases as these always help us understand our users' needs and pain-points. 

Thank you all for your continuous feedback and support!

mcowell
New member | Level 2

Are there plans to allow people to create papers within the document folder structure as opposed to having a separate folder structure for papers? 

We already have a folder structure for information - it seems to me that one of the benefits of paper over a traditional wiki is we can put the papers in our regular document folder structure rather than having some other structure we have to navigate to get information. Unless I'm missing something, we can't currently do that.

-Matt

UPDATED: Ugh, I see this request has been around since 2015. Guess we'll keep using a wiki or Evernote for sharing free-form notes and adhoc docs. The workarounds suggested around exporting to a PDF make no sense to me. If I want an actual document, I'll use Word (since we're on O365) and then put it into the folder structure. I want to use Paper for more free-form content that is shared and updated frequently and I'd like it to fit in our normal folder structure. Seems like Paper would have worked this way from the start.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @mcowell, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us! 

I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team and also moved your post to this thread to keep track of relevant feedback along with other users are reporting this idea too. 

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers!
killeraesthetic
Helpful | Level 6

Any progress on this in 2019?? 

adamconnor
New member | Level 2

It's 2019 and this still hasn't happened? My team and I would love to use Paper more, but without it being integrated into the folder structure we already use for storing shared docs on DB, it's been pointless.

AbundTree
Explorer | Level 4

I'm new to Paper and loving it! But, I'm getting confused by the folders in Paper Home. Being very familiar with Dropbox folders, I want to learn how to keep all my Paper documents organized inside my existing Dropbox folders without creating new folders which are outside of the Dropbox structure. Please tell me this is possible! And if so how do I do it?

For example, let's say I am taking notes from a meeting on a particular project. The project already has a folder in Dropbox where other documents for research, budgets, etc are. Now, that I am using Paper for my meeting notes (instead of Evernote), I want to put my Paper meeting notes into the project's Dropbox folder?

That way everything for that project is all in one place. The "Meeting Notes" subfolder I want to create can be shared with all of the team via folder sharing permissions. Otherwise, if the meeting notes (or anything I create in Paper for that matter, will live in a different location and I'll be managing two folders for each project. That would be a deal killer and I'll have to go back to my old, antiquated system.

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for using Paper and welcome to our Community @AbundTree!

As your post echoes an already existing - and popular if I may add - feature request.

Feel free to take a look at what other same-minded users have offered on this discussion and make sure to upvote this too (by clicking on the like button). 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas about this and please let me know if you have anything else to add or ask; I'll be happy to follow up.

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

184 votes received