cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add .dropboxignore directory to exclude folders without using selective sync

Add .dropboxignore directory to exclude folders without using selective sync

Tom_M
Helpful | Level 6

Please please please can you add a feature that allows folders to be excluded from the Dropbox account (on windows and mac). For sure I'm not the first person to request this, but I'm yet to find a good explanation of why it's not there. A quick google search reveals loads of people also looking for the same feature. I really like the workflow I have with dropbox, but it's getting to the point where I might switch providers in order to allow better selective sync.

I've seen hackish solutions using selective sync, but it would be great if this could be done in one of the following ways:
- global pattern matching eg "node_modules"
- a marker file in the directory like .dropboxignore
- a simple right click context menu "Ignore this folder"

Other than that, keep up the good work. Cheers.
Tom

Latest Update
Emma
Community Manager

Hi folks, 

Thanks for your feedback on this.
While ignored files delivers for some of the use cases here, I appreciate it does not for all. 
We'll be taking another review of this thread to isolate use cases for a .dropboxignore file feature in particular.

I've updated the status and we'll take this to the product team.
As a side note, it would be helpful for us if you could outline the gap between what ignored files offers, and what a .dropboxignore file feature would add to your workflows.

Thank you.

Status changed to: Investigating
973 Comments
Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @Sherwino!

Thanks for the detailed post, awesome work! I’ve gone ahead and moved it to the developer section of the Forum; perhaps some like-minded community members will have some more ideas to share on this with you. 

Cheers! :nerd:
PragmaticAttack
Explorer | Level 4

That's a great idea! I had a similar request whereby you can predetermine which clients will sync to a newly created folder. 

dylan-chong
Helpful | Level 5

@Lusil Where can i find this post that you moved to? I am also very interested in ignoring the node modules folders

atccodex
Super User alumni

Hey @Sherwino

I have the same problem. I do the same thing as you, and I agree it is a pain. Especially with  a hard day coding, that little Dropbox icon is working overtime. BUT, you can tell Dropbox to ignore the .git folder.

http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tricks/exclude-folders-from-syncing

Yes it is a workaround, BUT it will work. Usually though, when I am coding, I will pause the sync completely while I am actively working. Then when I am done for a while, I'll resume the sync and just let it work for a while (usually just let it do it's thing overnight). No it isn't perfect, no I don't need those useless files on Dropbox. Yes, it would be AWESOME if this could get implemented for a new feature like .dropboxignore.

djm2
Helpful | Level 6

I would also like this feature. Not being able to exclude node_modules ruins Dropbox for me (I know this can be done manually at the start of each project but that is not a reasonable solution). I use git and bitbucket but would like to have a copy of my entire development directory on Dropbox with the node_modules files excluded. The node_modules directory can have hundreds of thousands of files and sym links. I have to throttle the Dropbox process in order for my computer to not overheat while using Dropbox, even when I'm not even updating any files! I'll have to stop syncing my node projects and look for an alternate provider with this feature.

that70schris
New member | Level 2

anyone know of any alternative services with this feature?

gnou
Explorer | Level 3

It has been a very popular request from developers which has been ignored for years by Dropbox. Implementing a .gitignore like logic would simply make dropbox usable by developers.

Actually, it is not.

garronej
Helpful | Level 6

+1
@Mark You are doing a great job at degrading Dropbox Inc's PR.

Danziger
Explorer | Level 4

Totally agree with this request!

I can't believe Dropbox has been ignoring this for so long when the selective sync feature is already there... We just need a different way to tell it what to ignore, something similar to .gitignore or, even better, just be able to tell it to use the existing .gitignore files!

In my opinion, part of the problem is that no other storage providers like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive are doing that either, at least not that I know. Otherwise, we might see some progress as Dropbox would probably want to catch up with what others are offering to avoid losing users...

ashutoshw3
New member | Level 2

I use Dropbox for syncing my development project files but every time all the libraries are uploaded to Dropbox which increases the size of the project by a huge margin. 

It would be very helpful if there is a file like .gitignore implementation for Dropbox sync which will ignore files to be uploaded.

Please implement this feature in the upcoming version, it would be a great help for all of them in the developer community. 

Dropbox has already implemented selective sync in the desktop client so this might not be a very difficult task for Dropbox.

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

1,366 votes received