cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing folders from being moved

Preventing folders from being moved

David G.14
New member | Level 2

Looking for a way, as admin to a shared folder which contains sub-folders, to keep other team members from accidentally moving those sub-folders. Part of it is education: novices do not grasp that by moving a folder to their desktop (for whatever reason) they are moving it out of DB and visibility to the rest of the team. This has occurred a few times, and as the team grows, it would be better if admin could lock a folder's POSITION. Probably would be a benefit to keep the folders from being renamed, but that is less likely to happen. Users should still be able to freely work with and move files as needed within the locked-position folders. Maybe there is a way to do this that I'm not aware of. Third party folder manager (those I reviewed are focused on encrypting, password protecting and/or hiding folders)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Latest Update
Walter
Dropbox Staff
This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.

Thank you for your suggestion, and if you have another idea to share, please do! 
Status changed to: Closed
45 Comments
Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Hey everyone, 

Thanks for posting your ideas here. This sure seems like it would be a handy feature :wink:,
and I’ve sent your comments and suggestion on to the appropriate team for review. 

Cheers! 
Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Hey @sh9, welcome to our community! 

I’ve moved your comments to this part of our forum, as it’s directly related to your idea. 

Cheers! 
JJordan111
New member | Level 2

Is there a solution to this question?

Gremms3662
New member | Level 2

Does anyone have any answers to this ? 

WE have the same problem a shared team fodler with sub folders that keep getting dragged and dropped into different locations.

Thanatoz
Explorer | Level 4

Sanchez, any way of finding out if there is any further movement on this issue?  We just had a user accidently move a top level folder into another and now a couple of hundred thousands files are re-syncing.

Roy9
New member | Level 2

We have a similar issue in our organisation, with users often unknowingly dragging folders into other folders which causes huge frustration and wasted time finding the moved folders and fixing this up. It would be hugely beneficial for a specific folder tree structure to be locked down with admin rights. This issue has now resulted in us looking at alternate platforms as it is now seen as being a business risk. 

ChengFlexLogix
New member | Level 2

Same issue here. Any solutions? Even temporary solutions would be appreciated - our top-level folders can have >50000 files, even with online-only it's a big issue to re-sync everyone's file when a folder is moved accidentally.

Chisomo
Explorer | Level 4

I found this article that might help some.

https://dilrukj.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/prevent-users-deleting-moving-or-drag-and-drop-folders-in-a...

I haven't had a chance to apply it in a real life situation yet so don't know if it works or not.

marauder28
Helpful | Level 5

Is there a way to prevent users from moving a specific folder, or lock a folder in its current position? The user should still be able to edit its contents though.

Or, prevent a user from being able to delete a specific folder while still being able to edit its contents.

MissT5
Explorer | Level 3

I was just looking to see if this was possible...have had a few instances over the past month alone where entire folders with a LOT of contents were 'accidently' moved elsewhere and then when moved back EVERYTHING had to reload/sync back in place for each member using the folders, which takes a very long time and is a huge hassle when trying to get proofs across to each other in a hurry...we ended up having to just email each proof etc. Yesterday it happened on print day 2 hours before deadline which just caused a whole lot of chaos, especially when some of the team members computers take half a day to re-sync!  
Sorry, long blurb...but thanks for posting this so hopefully this may become an option!

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

51 votes received