cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pulling support for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

Michele O.
New member | Level 1

I still use Dropbox on my PowerMac G5, PowerMac G4 and PowerBook G4 every day to sync all my work with photos, videos, text and programming (all my Xcode projects are stored on Dropbox, as well as my Final Cut current library). Please don't cut us off, we need Dropbox and can't use the web interface (it simply doesn't work, and I need automatic syncing). There's no real reason to do that.

tommaso a.
Explorer | Level 3

Anyone still interested in finding a Dropbox alternative still working on ppc: I have found this SpiderOak software which, properly set, does exactly the same (and even something more) as our beloved but unfaithful Dropbox; I am still testing it and I am not sure how truly reliable this SpiderOak is but it seems pretty decent so far. And free till 2GB. Now, the ppc version is no more officially supported but you can search de web and download SpiderOak 4.8.4, and it works just fine on my Powerbook 12" with Leopard onboard, syncing files with the updated version on my Yosemite iMac 27. Let me know if have any problem finding the legacy one.

Richard Schletty
Collaborator | Level 8

Tomasso, thanks for the heads up re SpiderOak client backup for Mac PPC. I am trying to find SpiderOak 5.1.2. This article is both promising and ominous: https://blog.spideroak.com/20130124114121-powerpc-mac-users-attention

C B P.
New member | Level 1

<removed> but I do not know if it actually works on PPC.

Edit: Link to unauthorised download removed by forum moderator.

tommaso a.
Explorer | Level 3

You need the 4.8.4 version guys. Try here, a seems to post a link still working...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1757271

Michal M.
New member | Level 1

Probably a dumb question but does this SpiderOak work with Dropbox somehow? I need to add to and access files that my colleagues and I need to store and exchange but they will all have Dropbox, unless I can convince them all to switch. An entire lab group and department, which is possible because I'm not the only one who has an older machine, and if Dropbox comes for 10.6 next ...
Meanwhile I don't see any notices for XP users.
This is incredibly frustrating. Our Mac guru was the one who convinced us all to go to Dropbox over a few other free options, including drives and servers on campus.

tommaso a.
Explorer | Level 3

I have no idea if Spideroak works with dropbox, I suspect i doesn't (tried to sync some files stored in dropbox and some didn't).
You can try yourself though.

Nathan S.5
New member | Level 1

Dear DropBox,

I am the proud owner of a Power Mac G5 Quad with 16GB RAM and a 400GB HDD. This machine is lightning quick and is still quite viable even though it is several years old. I love your DropBox client for Power PC, and hope that you will reconsider your decision to discontinue this wonderful application. There are a lot of us Power PC users still out here, because our machines still work fine and we enjoy using them. Please rethink this guys, there is no reason to drop support for us! Thanks!

Onkar M.
New member | Level 1

I have used my trusty old PPC eMac 2005 for a long time now and it's sad to see 10.5 support being dropped. Leopard is the last usable OS on ALL PPC Macs and we really don't want to have to switch to a web client, purely because it is too slow.

Please, leave us with a working client rather than kicking us off. You don't need to update it, ever. Just do what Spotify did. Leave us with the old client, as long as it works.

Red M.
New member | Level 1

Please don't stop support for powerpc macs!

Need more support?