cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See what folders a user belongs to

See what folders a user belongs to

DanKWeaver
Helpful | Level 6

As an admin, I want to be able to easily see what folders a specific user belongs to. I'd love to be a be able to go to the "Members" page, click on a user, and then see a list of all the folders they have access to. If I need to partially reduce a specific users folder access, I would currently have to click "Share" next to each folder and look through who the members were. And even then, if they belong to a folder I don't, I won't know they are on it.

I'd also like to be able to change their permission and uninvite them to those folders from that same view. So, once I've opened the "Members" page, clicked on the user, and am looking at the folders they belong to, I'd want to be able to make edits from there.

Latest Update
Walter
Dropbox Staff
This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.

Thank you for your suggestion, and if you have another idea to share, please do! 

Status changed to: Closed
75 Comments
iizme
Explorer | Level 4

Yes this is a necessary feature. 

On Google Drive there is a workaround where you can search for folders and files based on who they are shared with, then select all and unshare.

https://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/unshare-multiple-google-docs/

ilanalter
Explorer | Level 4

So it seems that I will leave Dropbox and move to Google Drive

jamesyork
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Dropbox - you REALLY need to add this feature. Crazy amount of work. We just replaced one of our manufacturers and now I have to spend hours removing them from each folder! Love Dropbox but BIG oversight that this feature has not already been implemented. 

jtjr68su
Helpful | Level 5

NECESSARY!  Feature is absolutly needed and may be a reason I leave. 

NickD1
New member | Level 2

This is the most obvious oversight in this product.

Employees come and go, when they go they must be restricted from company documents immediately.

To only have a facility where they have to be manually removed from every shared folder as opposed to a macro function is a complete design flaw in the software regardless of how many people voted on it

I didn't buy dropbox so I can spent time telling dropbox how their product should be configured

GET ON WITH IT AND MAKE THIS CHANGE - TO DENY THIS YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW A BUSINESS RUNS

ilanalter
Explorer | Level 4

I totally agree

DROPBOX - GET ON WITH IT AND MAKE THIS CHANGE - TO DENY THIS YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW A BUSINESS RUNS

King_Pugwash
New member | Level 2

I agree also. I have 2 scenarios, one where an employee of my company needs to be removed (they are leaving my company/gone rogue) and another scenario where I have shared one or many folders with someone outside my business.

Either way, the DropBox functionality to be able to remove a person from all shared folders would be very useful. It is very difficult, time consuming, and prone to errors to review all shared folders looking for said individual to remove.

Please DropBox, move this up the priority list to add this functionality. In fact, a (admin) page that you can go to in order to see a list of all the people who I have shared a folder with, that I can then drill down to see the specific folders concerned, and then action (remove, change edit/view permissions) would be very useful. We want the ability to change permissions, not by folder, but by a person.

KBarrett
New member | Level 2

It's been 2 1/2 years since this thread was started. An it's still an issue?

Like many others I now need to search through files and folders to find the name of a person to remove.

Seems like a big deterent to using this for a business.

Is there any plans to add this feature? Any date?

Evne just a response of "Nah, we can't be bothered" so we know where we stand.

Search for a name and remove from all shared DropBox Folders.

Studrud
New member | Level 2

DROPBOX PLEASE MAKE THIS FEATURE UPDATE!

You must not take feedback from your customers seriously. My company uses your services through a business account and this feature is a must have and we are now looking at alternatives for our cloud storage needs.

zenoit
Explorer | Level 3

All admins to create a report that show who has access to what folders include folder which that casn not see\ have access too.

Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

64 votes received