cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When will Smart Sync work on linux?

When will Smart Sync work on linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Smart Sync would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

180 Replies 180

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this idea here!

While we can't take every idea forward, we do regularly re-review and will update you if anything changes.

Thanks again!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

neltnerb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You are welcome for sharing our thoughts.

Thank you Daphne for clarifying that Dropbox does not want business from Linux users.

Thank you more to everyone who posted alternative companies to give money to.

Sounds like we all have our answer. Don't be surprised if Dropbox just stops supporting Linux at all in the near future.

Hypersphere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It would be a disaster for me if Dropbox were to stop supporting linux altogether. Although it would be ideal if the linux version of Dropbox included all the features available in the Mac and Windows versions, the current status for the linux version is far better (for me at least) than having no linux version at all.

neltnerb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I certainly hope that they don't, but when their official position is that they don't feel it is important to add features they advertise to paid customers... I've seen this movie before, it leads to deprecation of their Linux client over time as it gradually loses feature parity with other operating systems until it gets so bad that they just abandon the Linux client entirely.

To be frank, I don't even need smart sync since my Linux computer has a giant hard drive and can sync everything. But I would rather jump ship while their client still works reasonably well and give my money to a company that will actually put it towards supporting Linux.

Personally, I haven't decided what to switch to yet. But there are many good options in this thread. I might give Keybase a shot, they do "file streaming" only so it looks like it's smart sync by default. Plus open source and end-to-end encryption. But less mature and I don't really want excitement in my inter-computer file sharing.

https://keybase.io/docs/kbfs

Hypersphere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same here. I don't really need SmartSync. Selective Sync works, and that is more than enough for me. Currently, my Dropbox contains nearly 400 GB of data in over 23,000 folders and 462,000 files, but my 2TB drives are sufficient for this.

Soon, I anticipate needing to write much larger numbers of files while doing molecular dynamics simulations, but I can offload these to auxiliary backup disks.

Nevetheless, I have been relying on Dropbox for years to keep my 6 Linux and 7 Windows machines syncronized between two offices, and I certainly hope they do not abandon linux support.

sprintexec
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I arrived here when looking to see how SmartSync works with my linux ubuntu set up; only to find that Dropbox don't offer this nor do they have any plans to bake it. This is inexcusable, I'm off to look for an alternative.

FrederickZh
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I've been using cloud storage services only for small documents mainly because I don't feel quite satisfied with the speed of Rclone. Then I discovered the Dropbox client for Linux, which can utilise my full bandwidth almost all the time. So naturally I started considering subscribing to Dropbox so that I can move some of my photos and videos from my local NAS to Dropbox however the disk usage then certainly became a concern. I haven't got several teras just lurking around in my laptop and Selective Sync is obviously not an optimal solution.

Since this feature has already been implemented on Windows and macOS so I guess to bring it to Linux, it won't even require much change on the server side, only on the client side. Come on, Dropbox, just one step away from winning me over 🙂

justin78
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

pls immeplent smart sync for linux. Linux is more stable than Windows. Why linux users is not treated the same as other users?

FErnando 3141596
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Linux Users are better than others and deserve this implemented before than others 😛

joeytwiddle
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We're Linux users, so perhaps we can add the features we want to their source code: https://github.com/dropbox/nautilus-dropbox

Or if that's too difficult, we can use an alternative open source product.

Need more support?