cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open a file sent to me via Dropbox

Can't open a file sent to me via Dropbox

DoorArchitects
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Someone sent a dropbox file and when I try to open it it says ' "that file" does not exsist? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DoorArchitects wrote:

it says ' "that file" does not exsist? 

What says that? That's not a message from Dropbox. How did they send you the file? What type of file is it?

Dropbox doesn't open files. It's just a method of storage or transfer. You need an appropriate application for the file type in question in order to be able to open it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DoorArchitects wrote:

it says ' "that file" does not exsist? 

What says that? That's not a message from Dropbox. How did they send you the file? What type of file is it?

Dropbox doesn't open files. It's just a method of storage or transfer. You need an appropriate application for the file type in question in order to be able to open it.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there DoorArchitects, thanks for posting on the Community & welcome aboard! 

In order to make sure that I send over the most relevant troubleshooting steps, could you provide some more details on what you’re experiencing?

• Could you let me know what the error message reads? 
  • I’d also appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), as well as a step-by-step description of what’s happening in your next message, so as to check the results we’re getting on our end as well.

Once I have this info, I’d happily go ahead & troubleshoot together. In the mean time, have a great day & thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's a pdf file.

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is no error message. I am new to dropbox and just need to open a document sent to me. It tells to sign in with my receiving email and I do that but still not able to view the document.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @3079 - welcome to our Community!

Can you please tell me if you're trying to access this file from the web on your computer or a mobile device? Do you have the applications needed to open PDF files on this machine? 

Have you tried another browser other than the one you currently use? 

Could you send the steps you take to do this and a screenshot of the last screen you're on before you reach this dead end? 

Thanks for going through all my prompts here and please let me know what you find.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Youkillme
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

not my Q??  Cant view files/ popup tells me i need a new app ??  Ijust downloaded DB.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @Youkillme - have you tried another browser or even device to access the files you were trying to open in the first place?

Let me know how it goes and if you're still getting the same error, please attach a screenshot of it in your next reply here so we can have a visual too. 

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Daisy767
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
PLEASE HELP. I’m having the same problem. Here’s what I get when I try to open aink that’s sent to me.

Daisy767
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I can’t even load a screen shot in here. How do I do that? There’s no option to enter a screen shot.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Daisy767 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Youkillme New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?