cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' permission error?

Why am I getting a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' permission error?

Minh Anh V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here's the message that I get:

Couldn't start Dropbox.
This is usually because of permission error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

30 Replies 30

Dave B.51
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Kathy T.
Thanks
Worked for me

Steven J.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same issue. Your steps require Dropbox to remain open, but the error dialog is modal and prevents access to the Preferences UI. When you close the error dialog, the entire application closes.

Travis M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have this issue too. The client will not launch
Could start Dropbox: https://www.evernote.com/l/AEH6CprAHDpIFoRW4_vdVregUExGriG4gB0

It is trying to launch from the path: '/Users/tRavI/Dropbox'
However the path it should be launching from is '/Users/tRavIs/Dropbox'
There needs to be an "s" in the "tRavIs" directory. How do I update this path?

Annalise H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Kathy - worked for me!

Michael H.165
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

i followed Kaz' second suggestion and unfortunately after i chose "Make me the owner" i got over a hundred error messages about faulty extensions/permissions during the processing period (which was many minutes in duration).  i tried repairing the permissions in disk utility after restarting holding command-r, the computer froze during the process, and now it won't boot up at all.

Jacob D.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ed - your solution is not useful for clients who "couldn't start Dropbox", as per the title of this thread.

I've encountered this error after changing the user folder shortname (and account names) of an OS X user. Now unable to launch Dropbox or reinstall as it repeatedly tries to follow a folder path that no longer exists.

I've cleaned all the preference files I could find, can you please let me know where to find the file that the Dropbox app is referencing for the bad folder path so I can simply remove it and reinstall.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I've encountered this error after changing the user folder shortname (and account names) of an OS X user. Now unable to launch Dropbox or reinstall as it repeatedly tries to follow a folder path that no longer exists.

See here:

Jacob D.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich!

Michael G.63
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This recently happened to me and I used Kathy T.'s post instructions from Feb 19 and they worked perfectly! Thank you

Jarad S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Guys, I tried both the suggestions, however Kathy T's version was spot on! Resolved the problem. Superb.You guys are awesome. Thanks 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mike P.59 New member | Level 2
    Dr T. New member | Level 1
    Kevin M.42 New member | Level 1
    a thomas b. New member | Level 1
    Eric P.17 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?