cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' permission error?

Why am I getting a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' permission error?

Minh Anh V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here's the message that I get:

Couldn't start Dropbox.
This is usually because of permission error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

30 Replies 30

Katharine S.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same error message and only got it to work after following the instructions below. Seemed a bit elaborate but worked like a treat - had to do it for all the ks folders (guess it had to do with the numerous attempts to reinstall dropbox)

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/cant-establish-secure-connection

Camaul D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem on server 12 what i did was to just over install the software meaning install the application without removing the previous instillation that worked for me 

Eric P.17
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dear all, 

same symptoms ... but not of the remedies suggested by Katharine, Kathy and Kaz worked for me. 

Here's the background of what happened : 

In order to switch computers from a Macbook to a Macbook Pro, I backed up all my system via time capsule and restore it on the new computer. All data got imported correctly, most things work but some service do not, mainly the cloud ones (Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud). I run El Capitan on both computers.

Any new suggestions ? 

thanks,

Eric

a thomas b.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Instructions were perfect, but unfortunately, it still didn't work. And advice? I thank you. 

Kevin M.42
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same here. MacBook air died. Apparently it did not like coffee like I do. 😞 MacBook Pro replaced it but no matter what I try I get the same error. 

Dr T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had trouble getting Dropbox to start on the PC, apparently because of permissions error. I am using Windows 10.

Solution is to install Dropbox on the PC from the download, then open File explorer and locate the Dropbox icon i.e. in C:/Prog files(x86)/Dropbox/Client

The right click on the Dropbox icon and select 'Install as administrator'

It then starts no problem, and you just sign in.
I did previously set up the Dropbox facility using the web application.

Mike P.59
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem as Michael H. I followed Kaz' suggestions with adding permission and the final portion "Make me the owner" created all kinds of problems...I ended up rebooting and of course it just stayed at the loading screen so I had to recover everything. Thank God for time machine...otherwise I would have been screwed since I use my 17" for design. At this point, my drop box problem is still unresolved and it really sucks...

Johan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Had the same problem and tried all steps in above without success. The Mac said that I didn't have permission to do any changes. I think it is because I have migrated files across from a PC and I have seen similar issues before. However, I resolved it by in the home folders information section, instead of changing permissions  unlock the folder in the general section at the top showing free space etc. and that worked for me. 

jennyt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
THANK YOU!

doangiahung
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem. I've already unlink and fix the permission. But the issues still happens.

http://prntscr.com/esisg7

Couldn't start Dropbox

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mike P.59 New member | Level 2
    Dr T. New member | Level 1
    Kevin M.42 New member | Level 1
    a thomas b. New member | Level 1
    Eric P.17 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?