cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot open PowerPoint presentations from the windows desktop app

Cannot open PowerPoint presentations from a shared folder on Dropbox

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

I keep getting an error message (see below) when I try to open powerpoint presentations created by someone else in a shared Dropbox folder. I can open the ones I add to the folder. I disabled the antivirus and tried to open the file but the same error pops up. I have all the necessary permissions to work with the file. Has anyone else faced this issue? 

Thanks!

InkedCapture1_LI.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, the issue was due to the antivirus software. Our IT guy played around with it and the issue is now resolved. Thanks once again!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Not applicable
Go to solution
That actually sounds like a PPT security feature blocking them since they are “online” connected. Try this (I apologize if it does not comes out in plain text):

Disable Protected View in PowerPoint

Open Microsoft Office PowerPoint program.
Go to File -> Options.
In PowerPoint Options dialog box, go to Trust Center, and click or tap on Trust Center Settings button in the right pane.
Trust Center in PowerPoint

In Protected View tab, deselect the following 3 options to disable Protected View which open files in restricted mode:
Enable Protected View for files originating from Internet
Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations
Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments
Disable Office Protected View
Click or tap OK when done.
Open the PowerPoint file again.

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi gregoc, 

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestions and it did not fix the issue. Please let me know if you more suggestions. Thanks once again!

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Actually, I forgot to mention that its not just Powerpoint files but I cannot open all file types.

Not applicable
Go to solution
Do you get the exact same type of message on non-Office files? What OS are you running?

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1709 and yes I cannot open pdf files as well. The error is different, it says "there was an error opening this document. The file cannot be accessed by the system".

Thanks!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Sounds like actually the file folder directory is too long. 

Windows has a limit on directories of about 250 characters (i.e. 'C:\My Documents' is 15). If it is longer than 250 then they cannot be opened. 

Try renaming some of the files/folders to a shorter naming structure and you should find they open fine 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. I will have to work with the person who created the folder to do that. I am just not sure why only I would have this issue when other people are also using the same files and they can open them just fine. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its possible that the folder structure is very close to the limit on their machines, but, you are over ever so slightly due to a different name maybe (e.g. your My Documents folder name therefore being longer), or, just your Dropbox in a different location. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

kpmj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, the issue was due to the antivirus software. Our IT guy played around with it and the issue is now resolved. Thanks once again!

Need more support?