cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chrome reporting dropbox as an incompatible application

Chrome reporting dropbox as an incompatible application

alarson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Receiving this error from chrome whenever i open chrome:

chromedropbox.PNG

47 Replies 47

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @DarkRothaus, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this. Have you tried the steps mentioned (switching browsers, using incognito and ensuring that you’re not running any extensions)? Were you able to resolve your concern in the end? 

Let me know of any updates on the matter and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DarkRothaus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

This is a Chrome-specific error message so switching browsers is not really helpful. It's only shown after restarting Chrome and Chrome always launches in default mode, not incognito. Certainly have plenty of extensions but they shouldn't cause that problem. 

As I mentioned, I didn't see any problem outside of Chrome complaining that there's an incompatibility so I guess there's just some sort of check that either Chrome or you guys introduced that wasn't there before.

Thx

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @DarkRothaus, thanks for your prompt response here!

I just want to make sure if the issue persists on an incognito window or after clearing your browser's cache as well, so as to exclude the possibility of a plug-in/browser extension causing this. If the incognito window works as normal, try temporarily disabling your browser extensions one by one to see if that does the trick. 

Furthermore, could you navigate to your browser's settings and let me know the build you’re currently on? You can do this by following the steps below:

1.  Go to Chrome's settings (ellipsis on the top right corner of your screen).
2. Click Help.
3. Click About Chrome.

Thanks in advance! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alexandra4
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @alarson and all, thanks for reporting this.

To provide some background, this doesn't affect the performance of your Dropbox desktop application. However, we're aware that this Google Chrome notification causes confusion and we have confirmed that this will be resolved in a future version (v69) of Chrome.

In the meantime, you can open up another tab in Chrome and close the tab with the notification. Alternatively, you can install the beta version of Chrome from https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel.

We'll post any important updates about this issue in this forum thread.

wad2502
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes Chrome became very unstable the moment I loaded Dropbox. It is more stable now I removed the installer program but still is crashing without any warning and frequently. Why? I have no idea unless there is some bad programming and both programs are using the same memory locations.. or one of the programs is not scrubbing the memory locations when it clears that space? (thats usually the cause so a programmer told me..

)

MuseumsCo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there an update on this issue yet? The warning came on today when I restarted my computer. 

Cirj
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also got the message today.

Jeff-C-SFL
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm now in this group too...

Seems like DROPBOX support is going to need to make contact with GOOGLE and get an answer...

And please stop saying to use another browser.

I have all my stuff set up to run out of Chrome and even multiple profiles for different business I participate with.

Maybe a remote session to a user's WS to drill into the settings, registry, etc...

Please post a solution soon.

Thank you.

bakkulf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Jeff-C-SFL; if you read three posts up, you see it's going to be fixed in Chrome v69. Current (as of today) official release is 68. You either have to wait a bit, or update Chrome to beta channel.

@dropbox team; Win10-64, nb_NO locale, Chrome 68.0.3440.106; happens in my end as well. Think it even prevented me from restoring a session after Chrome crashed (the "restore previous session" was sort of hijacked so I had to recover manually).

Jeff-C-SFL
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't see that msg... but I am satisfied with the answer. 

Thank you.

-JC

Need more support?