cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updated Dropbox App crashes Chrome

Chrome reporting dropbox as an incompatible application

alarson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Receiving this error from chrome whenever i open chrome:

chromedropbox.PNG

47 Replies 47

deafbowtie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox was updated on August 28, 2018 to this version: 56.4.94 and it keeps crashing Chrome from time to time.  Chrome Error Message for crash says Dropbox is causing and the app must be uninstalled. So I did.  Now I no longer have the same problem. That is why I am writing this conversation.  Any solution?

ChPrael
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm also running Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit) and getting the same error message. Chrome is also more unstable from whatever this issue is, and is suffering performance issues.

Any timing on v69? This is a business impact here.

RLD
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sometime around 11/17, Google announced some changes which were to be similar to Windows Edge behavior concerning code injections.  Beginning with Chrome 66, crashes due to code injections by Windows software into the browser would generate a warning to update or remove such software.  This would continue through the current relaease of Chrome 68.  Chrome 69 (due out 9/4/2018 at last update) will block the software from injecting code into Chrome processes.  If blocking is unsuccessful, the warning will still be shown after Chrome restarts and allows injection. The following Chrome 72 won’t show any warning and code injecting will always be blocked.  This seems to indicate Chrome is being developed to deal with what it perceives as bad code injections, so the application vendors will still need to address what is causing the originating issue Chrome is alerting everyone to since by Chrome 72 they will simply be blocked.  In other words, Chrome 69 will not fix the issue, but it will help better control or mask it, and by 72 it will be blocked for working in Chrome.  This is my 2 cents and interpretation of the information across various online sites, and I am not affiliated with Google, nor do I possess any additional inside information.  I'm just a Dropbox customer who ran across some extra info to pass along which may or may not be helpful as this problem seems to be escalating.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Do you experience this issue with any other browser, when using incognito/private browsing, and when you’re not running any browser extensions?

A screenshot of any error message or the behavior you’re experiencing (omitting any personal info) would also help in understanding your concern better. 

Thanks in advance! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

deafbowtie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nothing happened with Window Edge and Firefox Mozilla.  Once I uninstalled the Dropbox app, no longer I had any crash with Chrome.  Want me to reinstall the Dropbox app and see what happens?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift reply, @deafbowtie. Let’s see if we can work around this in a different way. 

Initially, could the message that you were seeing be something as described in this thread

Furthermore, could you navigate to your browser's settings and check that you have an updated version of your Chrome browser? You can do this by following the steps below:
1.  Go to Chrome's settings (ellipsis on the top right corner of your screen) 
2. Click Help
3. Click About Chrome

Let me know of any updates! :nerd:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

deafbowtie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry for the delay. I used the reply command instead of this community method.

Lusil

The screenshot in "this thread" is exactly what I saw several times.

My Google Chrome is up to date
Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Thanks,

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for confirming this, @deafbowtie!

I’ve gone ahead and moved your posts to this thread, since you mention that:

@deafbowtie wrote:

The screenshot in "this thread" is exactly what I saw several times.
Please note that, as @Alexandra4 mentions, this should be fixed in a future version of Chrome. You can also find this info in our Known Issues section.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and I hope this helped to some extent. :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

AngeloB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Chrome v69 and it's still happening to me. 😞

Atropa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all.
I have a Win10 PC and Chrome told me Dropbox is NOT compatible.
- I have two choice : keeping un-compatible Dropbox app on my PC and hoping all things will go on well (!!!)
- Uninstall Dropbox from PC.

Really?!

note : I do not use Tablet mode on this PC

Thank you all for helping me.

Need more support?