Announcements
Pledging our support for Water! Read more

Couldn't get shared link: Unknown Error

SOLVED
7 Comments
6 Kudos
Level 4

Couldn't get shared link: Unknown Error

Getting this error after trying to get a sharelink from the command line.

dropbox sharelink <some file>

Running on Ubuntu 16.04, installed dropbox (64 bit) from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

This command line used to work not too far ago.

Is this a known issue ? any solution ?

Thank you

Gilad

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 2

Re: Couldn't get shared link: Unknown Error

I have found a solution to this problem.  It seems there is some issue in the latest version of the dropbox client that prevents the link sharing from working.  I downloaded the latest stable build for linux, installed it, and it works fine now.  I would assume they are going to automatically push this release at some point, but here is the link in case anyone needs it sooner:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-15-4-22/m-p/195732#M3502

There is a README file in there that describes installation.  Basically, unzip it and copy the main folder to ~/.dropbox-dist then run ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd.  I would recommend backing up your current version of ~/.dropbox-dist.

7 Replies
Super User

Hello, Gilad...

You can start trouble-shooting by looking at the articles below to see if they can help with your particular situation.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

I don't use Terminal on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS to share links, I generate them through Dropbox's Desktop Client as shown in the screenshot below.  At minimum, it's an alternative method for you to use.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

I have the same problem.

Most I have investigated - when I copy sharelink from right-click menu in Nautilus, terminal command starts working for that file; if I do that for many files, terminal command proceed working on each of them.

But (surprize!) it's not for long time (of about 5 minutes). After that terminal command gives the error output again.

So, I suppose, the item "get shared link" from right-click menu in Nautilus makes some more than terminal command: it gets the link and stores it in some buffer. Terminal command only tries to get the link from this buffer, and when it's empty - reports of an error.

We should look into sources to confirm and correct it.

Level 2

Same problem(

Level 2

I have the same problem, with the same symptoms as ArtfulVampire.  Getting a link from the Nautilus context menu allows the command line client to work for a few minutes.  The command line interface worked as recently as two weeks ago for me.  I'm not sure if there is a difference between the command line interface and the contex menu, but the command line interface is extremely useful for sharing links to several files at once.

Solution
Level 2

I have found a solution to this problem.  It seems there is some issue in the latest version of the dropbox client that prevents the link sharing from working.  I downloaded the latest stable build for linux, installed it, and it works fine now.  I would assume they are going to automatically push this release at some point, but here is the link in case anyone needs it sooner:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-15-4-22/m-p/195732#M3502

There is a README file in there that describes installation.  Basically, unzip it and copy the main folder to ~/.dropbox-dist then run ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd.  I would recommend backing up your current version of ~/.dropbox-dist.

Highlighted
Super User II

pdrews wrote:

It seems there is some issue in the latest version of the dropbox client that prevents the link sharing from working.

If you haven't already, make sure you reply to that build's forum post so the devleoper's know of the issue. If it's just listed here, they likely will not see it.

Thank you, it works.
I've also added ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd into "automatically run programs on startup" (gnome-session-properties)