Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

252 Comments
112 Kudos
Level 1

DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

I began experiencing a Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure.  Windows 10 Start Menu, Notifications, Microsoft Edge, and Apps fail to open with DB installed. Once I uninstall DB, all the Windows 10 features work again and the Critical Error goes away.  There appears to be some negative interaction between DB and Windows 10.  After uninstalling DB and restarting Windows 10, I am able to reinstall DB and the Critical Error doesn't appear.  

252 Replies
Level 1

Re: DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

I've had the same issue had to remove the client.

Once the client was removed the Start Menu worked again.

Level 1

Had three clients this week - all the same problem.  Dropbox is removed and the problem is fixed.

Highlighted
Level 1

same issue on multiple computers but could not determine the actual issue. Removed both Norton and DB. Now on one computer I cannot even start to be able to remove DB. Probably will need to do a clean install unless this forum can tell me how to get in to windows! Cheers!

Level 1

Same here. We've been having these issues for months. Just found that uninstalling Dropbox fixes it. This has been absolutely brutal and a fix HAS to be fast tracked. Dropbox is critical for business, so I've had to revert back to Windows 7 for our company. Big loss of time and productivity figuring this one out. 

Level 1

Uninstalling Dropbox has not worked for me, fwiw.  (Nor did uninstalling Norton, for that matter, or booting in safe mode, running sfc /scannow, etc.)

Level 1

Agreed Kirsten - it's not the only fix - there are other reasons why this problem occurs.

Level 1

Has anyone been able to reinstall DB and not have the error? I NEED Dropbox for work or I am worthless. Help!

Level 1

Uninstalling/reinstalling did temporarily resolve the issue for us, but it will return after an undetermined amount of time.  Is anyone else with this issue redirecting their user folders (Desktop, Documents, Favorites, Links, Music, Pictures, Videos) to Dropbox?  We do that for our users and I suspect that this may be the root cause.  Either that or the fact that they are joined to Active Directory and the program is conflicting with some Group Policy.  I'm trying to get support to run this up the chain of command as the support person I was dealing with over the last couple of days simply dismissed the issue and said they have no reason to believe that Dropbox is causing it and told me to check my hardware, even though I told him this was a global issue that has happened to over 25 machines in our environment.

Level 1

So far, I have been successful using DB after initially uninstalling it and restarting of Windows 10.