Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

252 Comments
113 Kudos
Level 1

Re: DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

Just for the record, I had a client today with the same issue; had upgraded to Windows 10 at some unknown time ago and just recently his Start Menu stopped working.  Uninstalling DropBox fixed the issue (he wasn't using it anymore, so leaving it uninstalled was luckily an option for him).

Level 1

Exact same issue.

Start menu stopped working and gave a critical error.

Googled around for a bit before I found a post claiming that the issue was with Dropbox.

I uninstalled Dropbox and my start menu started working again. Not sure what the problem is. I use my DB alot so I would really like to have this addressed.

Level 1

Same problem with Critical error.  I uninstalled and reinstalled dropbox and the error disappeared for a short time, then the critical error popped up again.  Result of a microsoft update?  Dropbox - you must know what the problem is!????

Level 1

I had the same issue. Can't open any Windows 10 apps and when I try to access start menu it says:

"Critical Error: Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

Nothing I tried was working to fix this issue. Finally, I found a post that said Dropbox was causing problems. I uninstalled the Dropbox desktop app and the issue went away.

Nothing else worked except this.

Level 1

I have been having issues with the Windows 10 Start Menu for months.  I have fiddled with settings, re-installed Windows 10 twice.  I see this thread today (hooray!) and have uninstalled the Dropbox application and, lo and behold! Start Menu Critical Error goes away.

I use Dropbox constantly for work.  This is a huge inconvenience.  Would be awesome to have a fix!

Level 1

The start menu in my Windows 10 machine suddenly does not work. At first, I didn't know what caused it, but I found a strange 'dropbox-personal' folder in my Desktop folder (in Windows Explorer). It can not be opened and is 0 bytes in size. What is this? Is this the cause of this problem? I uninstalled Dropbox and the problem went away.

Please investigate this, Dropbox. It is a massive inconvenience when users can't use a basic feature of their computers.

Level 1

As all above, I'm having this start menu issue. Is it a fault with Windows 10 or drop box.?  No end of people reporting this issue, so would be nice if some one from Drop Box could reply and give guidance as how to fix? ( Or if Microsoft can reply.)

Constantly pestered to up grade to Windows 10, then when you do, you get this issue and no support!

Level 1

I've been struggling with the Win10/StartMenu critical error for weeks before I found a thread suspecting DB as the source of the problem. Uninstalling it solved it for me. I can access DB through other platforms but I will not reinstall on my new machines until I am confident DB resolves this issue.

DB - What are you doing about this?

Level 1

I upgraded DropBox for desktop today after receiving Dropbox message that icons not displaying correctly and that upgrade would fix.   I did the upgrade and the Critical Error message was immediate.    Another user when logged into the same computer (no dropbox) has no issue.

I have been using Windows 10 for around 2 months with no previous issue.

I have uninstalled  Dropbox entirely and Critical Error has gone away.

Level 1

Reinstalled from scratch and all working , BUT still getting message about about syncing icons needing fixing ;  which I will ignore until I see some resolution posted from DropBox.

Hopefully this info and that above helps to direct inquiries!