Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

252 Comments
112 Kudos
Level 1

Re: DB cause Windows 10 Critical Error Start Menu failure

Emily G. - I am not rude at all, I am here and posting at the request of both Dropbox Technical Support as well as their Development Team. I went to college for Computer Repair, Diagnotics, Programing and have a degree in this field thus know what I am talking about. The advice I give is 100% accurate, sanctioned by Microsoft and even Dropbox. They both want me posting this information yet no one is listening whatsoever, they start listening and it wouldn't at all seem like I'm being rude, and not berating. In no way or form have I ever called anyone here stupid or even acted like it at all. I've been passing on the information that both Dropbox and Microsoft has asked me to pass on yet no one here is even excepting it and that is the real problem. People want me to act like I'm not being rude then they should actually start listening and attempting to follow the fixes stated directly by Microsoft as well as the ones Dropbox has asked me to pass on.

You want to say you can't trust what I'm saying. Well if you actually took the time to have tried it instead of being judgmental about it since from the moment I first posted here no one has whatsoever tried anything that I've suggested and have stated in behalf of both Dropbox and Microsoft. Instead everyone here has gone and said "No it's Dropbox, it's nothing else." Not for one second has anyone whatsoever done as suggested. If they did they'd see the truth and I wouldn't sound like I'm coming off rude or even berating or even making it look like anyone here is stupid because at that point the facts and the truth will speak louder than words.

In no way or form Emily was my statement of "get it through your thick head" ever directed at you. It's for those still blaming Dropbox about the problem and it was actually part of an email in regards to this error directly from Dropbox's Development Team sent through their Support Department for they are extremely tired of being called out on an error they've come to realize isn't even connected to Dropbox yet when they try telling people that they get the exact same backwash that I'm getting here with "yet uninstalling Dropbox fixes it so it's a Dropbox error". Thus you can't blame me for their words at all, it just isn't right for you to do.

And furthermore Emily, I have already stated that I don't directly work for Dropbox. I work for a local small business that is a Computer Repair Shop, it's a subsidiary of the Computer Doctor Company, LLC. It's a computer company that has many smaller businesses for computer repair connected to it. Plus I have already given the name of my Dropbox contacts twice before and they aren't just my contacts but my coworkers contacts as well as the same contacts other repair technicians deal with as well. The exact same thing can be said about my contacts at Microsoft as well as other third party software manufacturers.

When anyone contacts these software manufacturers, the message is always the same from every software manufacturer in regards to: "Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working." and that reply is: "There hasn't been any connection discovered between our software and the Critical Error you've experienced and described, rest assured we are working on it but the problem appears to be related to Windows 10. Our software isn't the only one being said to have the same effects of the Critical Error on Windows 10. Uninstalling other software has been known to have the same effect in "fixing" the problem. We strongly suggest you contact Microsoft about the problem since it strongly appears to be a Windows 10 OS problem and there is nothing we can do to help you."

Community Manager

Hi all

Just like you've expressed here, we've received a number of reports of the behavior you're seeing regarding the Windows 10 Start Menu.

I've spoken to our team and we understand that this seems to affect a large spectrum of Windows 10 users, some of whom do not use Dropbox at all. That being said, our development team is actively looking into this behavior you're seeing, but for the time being I would highly recommend checking to see if there are any cumulative updates available from Microsoft to your device and keeping on top of these updates. Some users reported that the 1511 version has not encountered issues, but we can't confirm that this is a solution.

I'll go ahead and close this thread, but as soon as we have more information about the nature of this error, either myself or a member of my team will update this thread.

Thank you,

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face

Community Manager

[Update]

Our development team has released a new version of the Dropbox client that may address the specific issue you are seeing your Win 10. You can install this version from the following link:

Please note that the specific issue you are experiencing may be related to the way Dropbox interacted with a component of your computer’s Operating System. There is the possibility that other applications could cause this issue as well.

If your issue persists, I recommended systematically quitting applications you have open to determine which may be causing the problem.

Thank you.

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face