cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem Downloading Large File

Download fails at 315mb every time

PatrickF
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have uploaded 10 1GB  files. When people (including me) try to download them they fail at 315mb, every time. Why is this happening?

77 Replies 77

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
This is not really a reasonable and professional solution, to ask my clients to install a web browser they probably don't already use, and then screw around with it.

Dropbox needs to fix it. When my clients run into this download issue, I usually upload the files using another service such as WeTransfer.

ivrss
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox needs to fix it and we need to know what are they doing and when it will be fixed.

I like Dropbox but I'm testing now Onedrive and Googledrive.

Selmita
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

One of my customers said she was finally able to download the files after downloading Dropbox to her PC. While I'm happy for her, I cannot possibly ask my customers to install Dropox to download their files. It's ridiculous and complety defeats the purpose of using Dropbox in the first place! Now everytime I get a new order I'm afraid I'll receive a message from a customer complaining about this issue. This will lower my shop's ratings and hurt my business. I have a Pro account, but I wonder, is every Dropbox user facing the same problem? Are Business accounts affected as well?

Svetislav M.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I also have this issue!

It fails arround 315MB. In just few occasions I was able to download one of mine file (700MB and 1.49 GB size), but in 99 of 100 times, it fails.

I've just tried some file that I've uploaded in 2015, it failed at 315MB also.

Lost a few days with this issue.

I'll have to split the files into 300MB parts and reupload.

I have a Pro account. It's sad that this issue is not yet resolved.

Harry_S
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I posted on this topic over 2 weeks ago with the exact same problem most people are encountering - Files failing at 315mb, and I am amazed Dropbox still have not fixed this problem! Or even officially addressed it/apologised for it. It has forced myself and others to start using other services, which I would strongly recommend to all of you. (WeTranser & One drive, to name a few).

There is a quick fix for dropbox in the meantime I have tested, that a few other people have posted in this thread (Thank you!). Use Firefox as your browser, and pause the download shorty before 315mb, then resume it and it will get past the 315mb, they do the same around 600mb, etc etc. It is very inconvenient as you need to closely monitor your downloads, but it will work in the short term while you decide on another service to use...

Good luck everyone!

Laureline
Community Manager
Go to solution
Hi Harry and all,

And thanks for your patience.

Our engineering team is working on this issue.
The main problem that we are facing at the moment is that files don't constantly fail to download.
We are still working on finding the cause of this issue.
We will keep you posted once it's fixed.

Have a nice day!

okay
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Still having this problem. I'll try the temporary pause/resume workaround until a proper solution can be found.

COACH
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Exactly the same problem stated previously. 

I'm sharing video files of around 500mb regularly with customers.

This issue is crashing the whole workflow of sharing as most of the downloads stops at 317mb in Chrome / 330mb in Safari and Firefox.

It makes no sense to ask clients for using dropbox desktop application or try the Mozilla 'temporary' solution.

Since many of us are Pro users, at least keep us updated with any progress.

Not hearing back for too long is going to force us to look for permanent alternatives.

Thanks

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. As Laureline mentioned above, we're working on a fix for this as we speak. We'll update this thread as soon as I have more news.

Thanks again for your patience on this matter,
Ed

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all

Thanks for your patience on this. I have great news!

Our dev team has identified the issue and fixed it. The fix is now being rolled out.

Thanks again for reporting and being vigilants of our community 🙂

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?