Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues are updated here. Learn more
927 Comments
771 Likes
Level 6

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

This is an incredibly short-sighted and user-hostile move. Filesystems like Btrfs and ZFS offer amazing, useful feature sets and are only getting more popular. I'm currently transitioning from macOS to a Linux-based distribution and sorry, no, I'm not going to use unencrypted ext4 just to make one program happy.

The only message you guys are communicating to me is that it's time to drop Dropbox.

Highlighted
Level 2

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Hi Jay,

I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus.  I've been a paid dropbox user for years and it has worked wonderfully for me.  My current filesystem that dropbox lives on is ZFS and I'm not giving that up for your changes. 

Please reconsider this decision and pass this message on to the committee who made this decision. Should this decision remain, I will have to use a different service like Spideroak or OwnCloud (which support Linux). I would like to continue giving your company money, but if dropbox has decided that not taking my money is better for its shareholders, I guess that's where we part ways.

Sincerely,

Ron

Level 4

Guess what... Dropbox downloaded daemon on Linux Mint and it refuses move dropbox folder to an NTFS drive (as always did) because only EXT4 is supported on LInux.

Happens that drive must be NTFS because it is shared with Windows!!!

I am paying my valued money to Dropbox to get things running smoothly.

How NTFS is not supported on LInux? What the *#*& of a service is this???

I have payed another 1 year service in June and I want my money back.

Level 2

Agreed. I use Dropbox across a variety of machines, some of which are LUKS encrypted XFS file systems. If Dropbox decided to drop everything approaching useful, then I'll happily go somewhere else. Customer since 2010.

Level 2

Are you kidding me?  Why?

You're wiping out those people that install Ubuntu with default settings (majority of linux desktop users), and you're wiping out those that use RedHat 7 and derivatives.

This is frustrating no end.  I just decided to pony up for a subscription earlier this year, and I'm effectively being kicked off the platform now.

Level 2

I can't agree with this move at all. You've just lost another customer.
Level 9

Re: Linux Dropbox client warn me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

/dev/mapper/devel-Dropbox on /Dropbox type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)

This is the default for both RHEL and Fedora.

Level 2

This feels like a slap in the face of every single advanced linux customer.

I would understand if either development costs for maintaining the current level of support for BTRFS is spiking up OR if it is becoming increasingly unfeasible from an engineering standpoint.

But this ...

this looks like you just don't care OR do not want such people as customers.

Level 6

Jay, this is really problematic.  You cite lack of xattrs as a reason, but that's simply not correct, i.e. XFS has supported xattrs for decades.

I've been a primary XFS developer since 2001, and I've worked on ext4 since around 2007 as well.  I can't imagine any reason why ext4 would be a requirement over any other posix-compliant filesystem that supports xattrs.

If your team has any technical questions, please reach out to me, I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks,

-Eric

Level 4

Are you aware of, encryption is nearly mandatory for any company in Europe?

If you loos one device with an unencrypted disc/SSD containing customer data, you have to inform every single customer about that! If I understood correct, you prevent ext4 users from encryption.

Good luck with that decision!

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.