Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

991 Comments
790 Likes
Level 4

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Dropbox Plus user here. I've been using XFS as my principal file system since it became the first painlessly resizable FS in the early 2000s, and this is where I run my headless Dropbox client. I've always appreciated Dropbox for its cross-platform abilities, and this is hugely disencouraging. :-(

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Hi all, just a brief update regarding encryption on ext4.

If you’re running ext4 and eCryptfs and receive a notification about moving the Dropbox folder, then it’s because eCryptfs isn’t supported.

However, contrary to @JinHadah's post here, I can confirm that ext4 with full disk encryption (e.g. LUKS) is supported. We're sorry for the confusion in that chat.

If I have any further information to share in the future, I’ll let you know.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 6

This is very lame, as well.

Not supporting eCryptfs is a big flaw.

One may not want all of his user homes to be encrypted. And in general, performance-wise especially, running home in a LUKS is quite cumbersome.

So, again, if your way is not towards supporting more safe filesystem configurations, I'll surely move away.

And another very important note: please, write this in the page where you specify the requirements!!! All this discussions in the forum will be mostly avoided. I couldn't find anywhere a note about this configuration (ext4 with eCryptfs) not being supported.

I really hope it's a lapsus, and it's not done on purpose to not specify all the filesystems (that at this point are quite a lot) that are not supported.

Level 8

@Jay , you (Dropbox representative) still could add better reasoning for excluding FSes different from ext4. Xattrs are supported by majority of Linux FSes (btrfs, xfs, zfs, ext3 - see the fuller list in comments), thus that reason looks very poorly related to reality, so to say.

If Dropbox developers just selected ext4 as the only supported filesystem supporting automated sync, just write so, without references to extended attributes. There are many Dropbox users well knowing system intrinsics - I suppose you might wish to avoid moot statements.

Thanks. I was an active Dropbox user and evangelist since March 2009, it will be somewhat sad to leave.

Level 6

The marked solution to this post is incomplete.
You fail to specify some important unsupported configuration.
E.g., ext4 is said to be supported, but if you use ext4 with eCryptfs (standard home encryption in Ubuntu) than it's not supported any more.
You have to state this somewhere.

Level 10

@Jay Not good enough. You can't use FDE if you are dual-booting for example. As others have said, ecryptfs works now so why would it suddenly not work in November. Just cancelled my subscription after spending the morning testing pCloud and liking what I see.

Level 5

This is rather stupid.
Why not test for required xattr functionality instead of testing filesystems?
I'm using btrfs on my raid and I'm not buying new disks just to be able to move to another filesystem, so if Dropbox keeps on with this decision I'm looking for altrernatives.
Dropbox has given me good prices on cloud data and good functionality, but there's plenty of competition.

Level 2

I am on UBUNTU 12.04 LTS. My dropbox folder is on an ext2 filesystem. I still get that message.

Level 2

Syncing problems starting November 2018

Hello,

as many others I currently got a message that syncing will not work anymore because of missing system requirements (wrong file system).

My current situation: I have a dual-boot system with Linux (main) and Windows (few use). To use same data on both systems I have a partition for Windows System, one for Linux system and one additional mounted in both systems. Since Windows cannot read Ext4 it is an NTFS partition.

My Dropbox is installed on Linux and linked to this NTFS partition.

According to the new requirements you support NTFS/Windows and Ext4/Linux but unfortunately you don't support NTFS/Linux.

I fully understand that for security reasons (and maybe also to avoid spending lots of money supporting hundreds of file systems) you cannot implement all different combinations. But as the requirements say you will at least support NTFS and Ext4. But why not checking only the file system and not the combination file system / OS? Is there any need that we must have a certain file system on a specific OS?

An additional option would be that you let the use choose between secure and non-secure option and maybe show a waring message when using second option.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Level 6

Jay,

Please ask your Linux Client PM and/or account managers to check the impact of this move with your larger Linux business accounts. SUSE Linux has XFS as our standard /home filesystem on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, as does Red Hat's RHEL 7, which are the two largest enterprise Linux distributions. Ubuntu with an encrypted home (standard for business use as other have pointed out) is also affected.  Enterprise customers will therefore be impacted by this move, and some of those are likely your larger customers too.

Best regards

Will S

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.