cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Level 6

I know, right? I wonder if they have any insight on kernel 4.19 compiling correctly in Windows 10. I am curious about that...

Highlighted

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Level 7

If these changes were supposed to happen in November why did the OS Requirments happen last week?  I was fully away of the files system requirment changes and my Linux OS  (CentOS 6) was using the ext4 and not encrypted so I thought I was fine.  Last week, I think it was Thursday or Friday Dropbox application stopped syncing with the error that it needed to be connected to an account.  I tried to do that and it took me to link about OS support.  If I had known this earlier I could up been on top of it.  

Level 6

Midgley - It's because DropBox has clearly decided that Linux users don't matter. This is going to turn into very bad PR for the company.

Level 7

I actually don't blame for making some changes but I feel the notification system is hugley flawed.  There really are not very many companies that work with linux at all so I still do appreciete Dropbox still but right now I have a business and at risk of loosing files.  So I am not really interested in crying and wineing about it.

Level 6

@Palanthis wrote:

Midgley - It's because DropBox has clearly decided that Linux users don't matter. This is going to turn into very bad PR for the company.

Not just Linux users but any user wanting to work with better file systems. ReFS is a terrific file system supporting better integrity, error correction and a much better method of handling mirrored drives. Furthermore, the architecture can be changed just by adding more drives to the same file system. Large files such as media files are handled far more efficiently in a ReFS volume than with NTFS. However, despite all of these massive and amazing things about ReFS... Dropbox says "NO!" when it really shouldn't matter. OneDrive (and other competiting products) works great with ReFS. I am forced by this decision to migrate away from Dropbox. Perhaps if enough consumers leave Dropbox, someone in the business team will finally understand the stupidity of their decision to ignore massive amounts of the consumer-base needs. However, winning people back is a lot harder and more costly. I fear for the future of Dropbox.

Level 6

Exactly! If you think we are "wineing"(sic), you clearly don't understand the big picture from a business or technology ecosystem standpoint. This is a financially stupid decision on their part. They effectively alienate 75% of their Linux users. They also further push the "two OS paradigm", which eventually hurts all consumers. I also fear for the future of Dropbox... Mega is doing fine, though. slightly smiling face

Level 6

I think this tells a compelling part of the story of what's happening here.

https://i.imgur.com/XxVXFvP.png

@Midgley wrote:

...  There really are not very many companies that work with linux at all so I still do appreciete Dropbox still but right now I have a business and at risk of loosing files.  So I am not really interested in crying and wineing about it.

Yes. There are really no so much companies with full multiplatform functionality (including Google is bad example), but there are enough. For example good alternative is pCloud. There is import functionality and you can move all your files from Dropbox in one click (without any file loosing). Only disadvantage can bring up when Dropbox is used for share service with multiple people (customers or partners) and... this could take time (new connections). :(

Level 3

I tried using pCloud but it didn't work so well. It doesn't support sym links and doesn't preserve file permissions, so executable files become non-executable. For general document management it might be fine, but I keep my whole life in Dropbox. I can work around most things, but it's a show stopper if it can't store all of my files exactly as they are. Their Android app is alright, but I also want to use it for podcasts and videos, and it tries to play these in their crappy internal player instead of letting you choose a player. 

Level 5

@lobati - I share your concern about symlink support, but please note that Dropbox does not support them properly either.  Sometimes Dropbox keeps them as symlinks, but other times it makes copies of symlinked files or even whole directory structures.  It's particularly insidious because it seemed to work at first, and I only noticed the massive corruption (due to these changes) later.  More details are at http://www.paulingraham.com/dropbox-and-symlinks.html and https://aurelio.net/articles/dropbox-symlinks.html

But back on point--Dropbox is screwing over all of their Linux users here by dropping support for all but a fiew Linux distributions and just one (crappy) filesystem.  I still hope Dropbox will listen to loyal paid users like us, but the reality is that we will probably have to find something new with a company that actually cares about us.  What other alternatives have Linux users switched to?  

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
996 Replies
797 Likes
Solved! : See solution