Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

959 Comments
773 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

I have a Mycloud Single Drive 8 GB (hw 2.30.196) where I have located my dropbox folder.  Now dropbox informs that they will stop synchronising my dropbox it I don´t upgrade my file system or change the location of the folder. The file system needs to support extended attributes.  Mycloud is running on linux ext4, but according to your info, this is a supported filesystem. Why am I then getting the message to change location of my dropbox folder?

Best regards Ole

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Hi everyone,

As a reminder, today, Nov. 7, 2018, we are ending support for the Dropbox folder syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. Going forward, the supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and ext4 for Linux. Please note that the Dropbox desktop application will only be able to sync the Dropbox folder on a supported file system, per our system requirements (e.g. on a Linux computer the Dropbox folder will only sync to drive or partition with an ext4 file system). 

We are making these updates to ensure we can continue to deliver new features and improvements while providing a stable, consistent Dropbox experience for our most common customer configurations.

We’ve been monitoring this post closely since this announcement was made. We heard your feedback that we weren’t clear enough about the specific configurations that would and would not be supported, as well as why this change was made. 

As a result, we made some updates:

• We improved our in-app and support team’s messaging to more clearly explain the reason why you may be receiving the notification about this change
  • We added clarification regarding our support for full-disk encryption
  • We updated the requirements in our Help Center article to be more clear and call out the specific needs to ensure you are running a supported setup 

We understand this decision impacts a smaller percentage of users not using the most common file systems across Mac, Windows, and Linux. We’ve been listening to concerns and feedback, and want to ensure any users who wish to switch to a supported system are supported—we’re committed to providing the best cross-platform experience to as many users as possible.

If you need to move the Dropbox folder to a supported file system or need information on how to identify the file system on your computer, please review the following Help Center article:

If you receive a notification, but have your Dropbox folder on one of the supported file systems, you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system which has since been upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used.

If you received a notification on Linux and you are running ext4, it may be because you are also running ecryptfs. ecrypfts is not supported. However, we support full disk encryption systems, such as LUKS for Linux users. Security of your data is our highest priority. 

If you are seeing a notification on your computer, but have your Dropbox folder on one of the supported file systems, please reach out to Dropbox Support so they can help you resolve the issue.

Thank you for your continued feedback as active members of our community.

- Dropbox Team
959 Replies
Level 5

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Hi,

These days, I found my Dropbox Linux desktop client always report the following warning:

"Move Dropbox location

Dropbox will stop syncing in November"

What happened to my dropbox account or my Dropbox linux desktop client? 

Thanks in advance.

ClockZhong

Level 6

Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

I'm running the desktop application on Ubuntu, and this morning I got in Swedish the attached notification by the app, in English the message is as in the topic.

I can't find anything about this either on the official Help pages, here on the forums, or on the web.

The notification don't provide any additional details either.

Anyone who knows what this is about?

dropbox slutar synka Skärmbild_2018-08-10_09-30-01 (kopia).png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Hi everyone, on Nov. 7, 2018, we’re ending support for Dropbox syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. The supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux.

A supported file system is required as Dropbox relies on extended attributes (X-attrs) to identify files in the Dropbox folder and keep them in sync. We will keep supporting only the most common file systems that support X-attrs, so we can ensure stability and a consistent experience.

If you received a notification, but are running one of the supported file systems, it's possible that you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system but have been since upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 6

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

On my machine I'm running the BTRFS file system where the dropbox folder is stored - BTRFS is the standard default file system for ubuntu system partitions and supports the mentioned X-attrs attributes. On top of BTRFS there's an encryption layer running, ecryptfs, which also is Ubuntu default if home folder encryption is activated.

Will the new desktop client solely run on ext4, or will it check for if the file system where the dropbox folder is stored supports extended attributes?

Tags (2)
Level 2

I use Ubuntu Gnome and my file system is Ext4 yet I still get this message?
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Dave, is it possible you have an old Linux machine that you never unlinked from your account, which is using a different file system?

If so, you can remove them from your account here, and that message should go away.

@wedgehog, I’m checking on this information for you.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I'm sorry, but this is NOT acceptable! Is Dropbox trying to get rid of the users from Linux community completely? There have been many bad decisions in the past, and this just top of the iceberg...

Why the f*ck only EXT4 is suddenly supported on Linux? Just because of extended attributes? That's a lot of horse BS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes#Linux

"In Linux, the ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, Squashfs, Yaffs2, ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS, Btrfs, OrangeFS, Lustre, OCFS2 1.6 and F2FS[8] filesystems support extended attributes (abbreviated xattr) when enabled in the kernel configuration"

Yes, I'm running LUKS encryption on top of my BTRFS partition, where I have my Dropbox folder. And I still don't see a valid and a proper reason why this configuration shouldn't work.

I'm definitely not gonna re-format my whole Linux just because of Dropbox - there are reasons why I'm on BTRFS. I'd like to hear some proper engineering explanation why suddenly xattr is required now and why only ext4 is supported. Because I really don't think there's any. This just seems like a lot of product/marketing  crap. There are reasons why VFS exists in Linux...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_file_system

From the xattr(7) man page:

In the Btrfs, XFS, and Reiserfs filesystem implementations, there is
       no practical limit on the number of extended attributes associated
       with a file, and the algorithms used to store extended attribute
       information on disk are scalable. 
Level 2

No support for btrfs file system in the future?

@Jay
Level 4

hi,

i've been using dropbox on linux on btrfs for years (since 2016), and i NEVER had any syncing issues whatsoever.

btrfs is being used more and more, and it's very sad to see Dropbox willing to drop support for btrfs.

i use dropbox daily to sync all my notes and personal files, and since i use linux for work, i can't live without any of these tools.

i agree with @deekej, i am not going to reformat my hard drives and reinstall all my systems just because of that issue.

i would have understood dropping the support if a lot of users had syncing issues, but i haven't seen a lot of complaing relating to the syncing issues because of the filesystem.

i hope that dropbox will do the right thing, and not keep support only for ext4. that would be a very dumb decision.

-phil

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post