cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

unhappily, as we succesfully used DB for many years and invited many people, we are trying other cloud storage to keep having the files accesible from Linux and Windows.

to have the files so, is an importat issue to keep both OS, but we slowly realize we use Windows almost never...

Debian headless started failing in November, but ext4 filesystem?

Level 2

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 59.4.93
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 33f46101-703a-10c5-fc6f-a4f451840101
pid: 2377
ppid: 1
ppid exe: failed
uid: 1000
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='adrian', pw_passwd='x', pw_uid=1000, pw_gid=1000, pw_gecos='Adrian Hall,,,', pw_dir='/home/adrian',
pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='adrian', pw_passwd='x', pw_uid=1000, pw_gid=1000, pw_gecos='Adrian Hall,,,', pw_dir='/hom
e/adrian', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 1000
gid: 1000
egid: 1000
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='adrian', gr_passwd='x', gr_gid=1000, gr_mem=[])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='adrian', gr_passwd='x', gr_gid=1000, gr_mem=[])
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/home/adrian'
real_path='/home/adrian'
mode=0o40755 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/home/adrian'
appdata: '/home/adrian/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/home/adrian/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=0o40700 uid=1000 gid=1000
dropbox_path: '/home/adrian/Dropbox'
real_path='/home/adrian/Dropbox'
mode=0o40755 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=0o40755 uid=1000 gid=1000
sys_executable: '/home/adrian/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/dropbox'
real_path='/home/adrian/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=0o40755 uid=1000 gid=1000

trace.__file__: '/home/adrian/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/python-packages-35.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/home/adrian/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-59.4.93/python-packages-35.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/tmp'
real_path='/tmp'
mode=0o41777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6821, in main_startup
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 3152, in run
File "ui/common/uikit.pyc", line 802, in create_ui_kit
File "dropbox/client/ui/qt/__init__.pyc", line 43, in <module>
File "<_bootstrap_overrides>", line 153, in load_module
ImportError: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(END)

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Level 4

I have been using DropBox since its inception.  I run Linux Mint with an encrypted ext4 drive, which doesn't work. It has worked fine up until recently.  I am going to download all my data and move it to Google One.  Really stupid move DropBox.

Level 2

Sorry for simple questions, but I don't understand, whats wrong with encrypted home folder on Ubuntu?

I am running 18.04 and home folder encryption is part of standard installation. One way or another I will have to move to different provider.

Level 2

I am no longer able to use veracrypt + exFAT which has been the only reasonable choice for dual-boot on linux and windows since I ever started using Dropbox. Not being able to use exFAT or encrypted drives is not understandable on my side as dual booter and I see no reason to change something that is a great solution just to fit the limited for no reason Dropbox, that never had a problem with it. Terrible idea, why on earth would you disallow people to use anything they like (I do not need support for it to be honest) and what works. Very frustrated with the change.

Dropbox running on a headless server in a VPS container not syncing

Level 3

I've recently upgraded to the latest version of dropbox, which introduces the file system check. on an Ubuntu 16.04 server.

Dropbox ran fine before the  latest release.

Running df -h lists:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs 50G 28G 23G 55% /
devtmpfs 1.0G 0 1.0G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.0G 0 1.0G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.0G 99M 926M 10% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.0G 0 1.0G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 1.0G 0 1.0G 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 205M 0 205M 0% /run/user/1000

None of the other common shell commands: mount | grep '/dev'; cat /etc/fstab; fsck -N /dev/simfs; file -sL /dev/simfs; parted -l; lsblk -f; blkid /dev/simfs; cfdisk; show an underlying ext4 file system, although I've been told that's what's running.

Running: 

sudo systemctl status dropbox.service

Gives the following error message:

Mar 04 15:50:03 server dropboxd[16826]: [ALERT]: So your files continue to sync, sign in to your Dropbox account and move Dropbox to a supported file system.

It appears that the simfs is a simulated in memory file system, and I've been told that's it an ext4 version.

How can I get this problem fixed?

-Pete

Re: Dropbox running on a headless server in a VPS container not syncing

Hi @Pete S.7,

Your command "df -h" doesn't show FS type used. Better try just "mount" command - gives much clearer view. If the reason is incompatible FS, did You try https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/Dropbox-client-warns-me-that-it-ll-stop-syncing-in-No... ?

Good luck!

Level 6

Was just checking on this thread to see if they've fixed this yet, as their early support of WebAuthn is impressive... but, nope. They haven't even managed to give a reason for why XFS, btrfs and other modern filesystems are unsupported that wasn't complete BS about how 'only ext4 supports xattrs' (when it wasn't even the first Linux filesystem with xattr support...).

For shame.

Exactly. For shame. I liked dropbox a lot, but... They gave up on me.

I moved to pCloud. If you are interested, inbox me and I give you extra storage with my referral link.

Level 6

I've already moved on to a self-hosted NextCloud instance, but still disappointed that DB hasn't fixed this as I would've considered moving back for the FIDO2 / WebAuthn support. Thanks anyway.

Amazing how they're just completely disregarding this thread with almost 1k replies and 30k views. They can't even bother to provide an explanation that isn't factually incorrect like claiming they need ext4 for xattrs.

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,002 Replies
797 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post