Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Dropbox running on a headless server in a VPS container not syncing

Level 2

Creating a mounted ext4 image that is mounted when you login should fix this completely and keep Dropbox happy, and us end users happyish as even though it means we have to create an image and jump through hoops it still allows us to use the service without taking much time to setup

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/493511

I'm not the author of the above but it works well.

Re: Dropbox running on a headless server in a VPS container not syncing

Level 5

Alas, this will probably not solve the use case for a shared folder on dual boot machines with Windows and Linux. Even if we manage to mount that ext4 image in Windows, Dropbox will tell us that on Windows, only NTFS is supported.

But in the meantime, Dropbox has stopped working because of other reasons: for non-paying customers, only 3 devices per user are allowed (mobiles, tablets and boot partitions on my PCs each counting as a separate device). Therefore I will not invest further effort into getting Dropbox to run on my Linux partition.

Re: No Longer supported

Level 4

Yeah, and the madness goes on: Yesterday, they write me they stop supporting our Mac too, because it is MacOS10.9 or older, which it isn't. It is 10.10 or newer, which they say they support. Anyway, they made it easy on me and signed us off automatically. No more Linux, no more Mac: Are they trying to force me to use (their!) Windows? That is most certainly not going to happen anytime soon! I have already set up my private cloud, anyway, after their Linux boycott, and I'm now going to move all the family away from Dropbox over to the private cloud. If you want it to be done right, you've got to do it yourself.

Re: No Longer supported

Level 2

I'm also likely to move off dropbox because of the lack of ecryptfs support. 

Re: regression ?

Level 5

deleted: duplicate

Level 5

@Здравко wrote:

I already solved the problem using a simple script. If somebody want, could check it.

Does your script still work?

I have used Dropbox until now by "freezing" it from updates by chown'ing the .dropbox directory. But today it won't work anymore before I update. Meaning that it won't work since I am using ecryptfs.

Hi @Martin L.33,

Yes. My script still work. I just check that the version is up to date (v70.4.93) and work fine. I also use eCryptFs.

One additional note: You can't freeze with chown ".dropbox"! You have to chown ".dropbox-dist"! ".dropbox" contain just settings. The distribution is in the other folder winking face

Do You have some problem when using the script or just You ask?

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Level 2

@Chris-W wrote:
I can't agree with this move at all. You've just lost another customer.

100% agree with you. I don't see myself using the service again for my website anymore. I guess.

Level 5

Yes I meant .dropbox-dist. That's what I froze. And it worked until yesterday. I just wanted to ask about the script before I tried in case it made havoc with the new version!

Will try now.

My version is 71.4.108 btw.

Level 5

@Здравко wrote:

Hi @Martin L.33,

Do You have some problem when using the script or just You ask?

I tried it now and it works!

I just had to run ~/.local/bin/dropbox instead of the default /usr/bin/dropbox. Maybe you should make that clear in the instructions?

sleep 10
/usr/bin/dropbox stop

Shouldn't sleep 10 come after the stop command to give it time to stop?

EDIT:

I see by looking at the script you actually update the PATH in ~/.profile. That file, however, doesn't seem to be read by bash. So I will put it in my .bashrc instead.

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?
1,012 Replies
797 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post