cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox error - couldn't start Dropbox

Dropbox error - couldn't start Dropbox on Ubuntu

Ozone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Couldn't start Dropbox.    error after fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04

25 Replies 25

Ozone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

this is the log:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 48.4.58
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 23475
ppid: 1
ppid exe: failed
uid: 1000
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='alex', pw_passwd='x', pw_uid=1000, pw_gid=1000, pw_gecos='Alex,,,', pw_dir='/home/alex', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='alex', pw_passwd='x', pw_uid=1000, pw_gid=1000, pw_gecos='Alex,,,', pw_dir='/home/alex', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 1000
gid: 1000
egid: 1000
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='alex', gr_passwd='x', gr_gid=1000, gr_mem=['alex'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='alex', gr_passwd='x', gr_gid=1000, gr_mem=['alex'])
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/home/alex'
real_path='/home/alex'
mode=040755 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: u'/home/alex'
appdata: u'/home/alex/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path=u'/home/alex/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=040700 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=040700 uid=1000 gid=1000
dropbox_path: u'/home/alex/Dropbox'
real_path=u'/home/alex/Dropbox'
not found
parent mode=040755 uid=1000 gid=1000
sys_executable: '/home/alex/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-48.4.58/dropbox'
real_path='/home/alex/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-48.4.58/dropbox'
mode=0100775 uid=1000 gid=1000
parent mode=040755 uid=1000 gid=1000
trace.__file__: '/home/alex/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-48.4.58/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/home/alex/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-48.4.58/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/tmp'
real_path='/tmp'
mode=041777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
[get_extra_trace_info failed]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1039, in boot_error
AssertionError

Original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6444, in main_startup
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2829, in run
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1995, in activate_translation
File "dropbox/i18n.pyc", line 340, in activate_translation
File "dropbox/i18n.pyc", line 392, in system_lang_code
File "dropbox/i18n.pyc", line 550, in get_system_languages
File "locale.pyc", line 543, in getdefaultlocale
File "locale.pyc", line 475, in _parse_localename
ValueError: unknown locale: en_IL

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info @Ozone - much appreciated.

From what I see now, the issue you are seeing may be due to the fact you are trying to place Dropbox on a different drive other than the one running your computer's operating system. To help resolve this issue, could you maybe try locating Dropbox in the same location as your operating system? 

This can be done by allowing Dropbox to install to its default location during setup so you'll need to re-install at this point. Once you have completed the install you can then attempt to move the Dropbox folder to a different location.

Please note that your user account must have permission to write to the desired location and that the drive must be in the correct format.  Drive specifications and systems requirements can always be found on this page.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted! Remember that if this persists, you can always log a ticket with our Support team in order to troubleshoot with more account specific information. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Ozone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

It didn't help.

I have tried to install to a default locatin from ubuntu software center on a fresh install of of ubuntu 18.04, and i get the same error

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey    I’d happily further investigate more closely & help you work towards a solution on this matter, thanks for posting us on the Dropbox Forum! 

As it's my understanding that this issue pertains to your current setup, I’ve made sure to create a ticket on your behalf on our system, so as to check your account specifics on my tools & follow-up with you there. Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my latest message & let me know here if you have any issues locating it. 

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you on our email correspondence, so as to work on that with you towards a fix!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ilgl76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So... What is the sulotion?

(same problem here - ubuntu 18.04 fresh install)

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey ilgl76, thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Forum; I hope you’re having a great Monday so far!

At the moment, our highest level technicians are investigating the possible cause of this error message. As I’d like to help you as much as possible, I’ve made sure to run a search on our system on my end & I’ve made sure to reply to your open ticket there. Whenever you get back in touch with me on this correspondence, I’ll do my best to investigate what’s happening based on the info I have on file for your account. 

Thanks again for posting us here & I hope you have a great week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Oliver67
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem with a fresh install Ubuntu 18.04!
I tried two ways!
1.) Installation of "nautilus-dropbox" directly from the software center in Ubuntu. Then comes a window with the following note (see screenshot): Start Dropbox to complete the installation. After that, the rest of the software would have to be downloaded and installed. However nothing happens if the button "Start Dropbox" is pressed. So it does not continue in the installation.
2.) .deb Installs from Dropbox Homepgae trying to install. But also leads to no result!

Hope for solution!?

Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-05-22 12-07-48.png

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your detailed post & the screenshot here Oliver67

I’ve made sure to gather all the details you’ve sent us & get back in touch with you via email, as we’re currently investigating this issue internally. 

At your convenience, please check your inbox for my latest message & let me know here if you can’t find it, so as to resend it on my end. 

Welcome to the Dropbox Forum & thanks again for posting us here on this issue. I’ll be awaiting to hearing back from you on our email correspondence & I’m wishing you a lovely rest of your day! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Ozone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Oliver67
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ozone, this solution helped me!
Since I kept my home folder when I reinstalled Ubuntu, I still had a folder .dropbox and .dropbox-dist.
So I uninstalled nautilus-dropbox and then renamed both folders in .dropbox-old and .dropbox-dist-old.
After that nautilus-dropbox installed and everything is fine!

Need more support?