Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox folder was on crashed HD

Level 2

My DB folder was on a HD that crashed. When I go to open DB prefs and try to change the folder to a different drive it repeatedly crashes. The one time it didn't crash it gave me the error that a dropbox folder was already in that location. There is NO folder there which means it must be a hidden file. Brilliant.

Even after I displayed all hiiden files on OSX there was no DB folder. What on earth...

So, it seems that DB is totally unusable if the original folder went missing. Am I wrong? Nothing is working here.

5 Replies

Re: Dropbox folder was on crashed HD

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, if the original folder is missing, this will definitely cause issues with the Dropbox desktop application. Since you mentioned it was on a hard drive that crashed, was this an external drive? If so, then file deletions could be possible if the folder isn’t detected.

Is this drive now replaced? Do you still have the original Dropbox folder and all files saved elsewhere? Have you tried an advanced reinstall of the app and then specified the (new) location of the Dropbox folder in the advanced settings?

Also, could you clarify if the entire computer was affected, or if just the drive crashed, and no other settings on the machine were affected?

Keep me posted with any updates!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Is an advanced reinstall of the app the only way to kick some sense into this thing? Why does it care so much about the original folder—to the point where it will no longer operate?

I don't care about file deletions, I just want a Dropbox folder in a new location. It sounds so simple, doesn't it.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
To put it simply, without the original folder, the Dropbox desktop application cannot function and will bring up error messages. Basically, it’s trying to sync to a folder that no longer exists, and keeps trying to locate it in the same spot.

As you’ve already moved it, the only option would be to do the advanced reinstall, and entering the new location in the advanced settings, to resolve this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

So #FeatureRequest then. At least give users the choice to have DB ignore any previous folder location and create a new one.

Thanks.

Level 2

Not sure why this just got set to "best solution". It isn't a solution and, in fact, I got dropbox working again without any reinstallation.

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox folder was on crashed HD
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post