cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error (403) when trying to download my own files

Error (403) when trying to download my own files

Matthew T.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this.

I log into my Dropbox account and try downloading any files and I get this message: -

Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

I get the same message if I right click the file and select download or I click on the file to view it then click download.

I'm trying to download my own files not shared ones. It used to work fine. I've tried logging out and back into my account. I'm using IE11 and I've tried deleting my browsing history and cookies. I've also restarted my PC but none of that has fixed it.

I've searched the forums and found people who've had the same issue but I couldn't find a solution.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

This appears to be affecting share links that have passwords on them. Removing the password results in a working link once again. Please use the following topic to follow this issue, or to add any additional information. Thank you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there

Sorry for the delay - are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Debra G.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having same issues! Help! Isn't there a dropbox help phone number? Can't I speak to someone? This has been going on for some time and I am feed up with it. I have extended plan-138.00 per year and I can't download any of my own files or documents. IF I drag them to my desktop I can't edit them. If I try to save them to desktop, hard drive, flash....states I don't have permission! Frustrated!!

Zoltan D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem: the Download function does not work under Event point and I got 403 error message. I asked the operator to do something, but till today the function is out of work.

As I see it is a serious error of the DropBox.

I hope that the operators will find a quick solution....

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

403 error means the link you are using is wrong. 

Usually it appears when clicking on a shared link that you've been given incorrectly. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Pearl Holding A
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

"403 error means the link you are using is wrong. Usually it appears when clicking on a shared link that you've been given incorrectly."

The link is coming directly from my shared folder, how can it be wrong? I even removed the link and re-created it and the error continues. I am unable to download any of my content!

Pearl Holding A
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I re-created the link a third time w/o a password, with an expiration date, and it worked. Then removed the link and created one with a password with no expiration date, it got the 403 error when trying to download the shared data.

So, the issue arises when a password is incorporated. 

This is needs to be fixed immediately! My Dropbox account just became useless, I must have have the added password security when sharing access to my data.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

This appears to be affecting share links that have passwords on them. Removing the password results in a working link once again. Please use the following topic to follow this issue, or to add any additional information. Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Pearl Holding A New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Zoltan D. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?