cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting an error with Code -43 when trying to move a folder on my Mac. Any ideas?

I am getting an error with Code -43 when trying to move a folder on my Mac. Any ideas?

Casualworker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a folder that I need to backup on Dropbox, everything was loading okay until I got this error message:

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)

When I clicked "okay" there was a transfer but only of some files, and I could clearly tell as the file I wanted to backup is 52 GB whereas the folder copied over is only 12 GB. I understand you can look through your files to see what is missing but that would be quite tedious, what would be the work-around?

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
That would have been an error from your Mac then, and nothing to do with Dropbox. Dropbox on your computer is just a folder like any other. If you were copying or moving files into it through Finder, then it's Finder reporting that error.

If you do a Google search for "Finder error -43" you'll see a lot of results discussing it.

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you tried what has already been suggested (remembering it isnt a Dropbox issue?)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Casualworker wrote:

I understand you can look through your files to see what is missing but that would be quite tedious, what would be the work-around?

Looking through your files to see what is missing.

How were you uploading these files to Dropbox? Were they syncing from your computer using the Dropbox client, or were you trying to upload them using the Dropbox website? If it was the website, you're more certainly going to run into problems uploading that much data through a browser. It's just not designed for such file transfers and is prone to errors during very long transfers. There's also no way to restart a failed upload.

What were the exact steps you were taking, and what produced that error message?

Casualworker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me,

I was uploading this folder through the Dropbox Client (within Finder), I copied the folder from my Documents (also because dragging can also cause problems) and pasted it into the Dropbox Folder within Finder. It began transferring and half way through I recieved that error. After that I clicked okay to proceed and saw that there were missing files. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
That would have been an error from your Mac then, and nothing to do with Dropbox. Dropbox on your computer is just a folder like any other. If you were copying or moving files into it through Finder, then it's Finder reporting that error.

If you do a Google search for "Finder error -43" you'll see a lot of results discussing it.

Casualworker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So the solution, to fixing this error would be... restarting my Mac? If the error is on Finder's end it has nothing to do with my folder other than the fact that it is quite big correct? Again thank you for the feeback, appreciate it!

Thanks,

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No idea. It's not an error I'm familiar with (not a Mac user). All I can say for certain is that it's not related to Dropbox. There's quite a few sites in the Google search results where this error is discussed in detail.

Casualworker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Alright, regardless very much appreciate your help it definitely narrows down the search!

Thanks!

koutaafl
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am trying to transfer a folder within finder to dropbox and I get this error warning

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you tried what has already been suggested (remembering it isnt a Dropbox issue?)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    koutaafl Explorer | Level 3
    Casualworker New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?