cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error Connection Timed out

Error Connection Timed out

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

All the Windows PCs on my network this morning, regardless of version of Windows receive an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT when trying to access www.dropbox.com. The OSX machines are fine. All receive IP (Address, DNS) info from DHCP server, all use same firewall that has no rules blocking outbound connections. I tried using Google DNS servers, same result. Does not seem to be a DNS issue as a ping to Dropbox from those PCs return the IP address correctly.
It is obviously something on my network, but why only the Windows machines?

34 Replies 34

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Data-SoilOptix, sorry to hear that you’re also experiencing this. 

I’ve also sent you a ticket to the email address that’s connected to your profile on Community, so when you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Data-SoilOptix
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

To further clarify. I am experiencing the connection issue when I attempt to download files off of the web client via PC. I am to see that the files are present but experience the connection issue during download. It states "waiting for bolt.dropbox.com" before the connection error appears. However, via the dropbox android app I have no issues. My ISP is Continuum Online Services Ltd.

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Lusil  a écrit :
Thanks for your swift reply and for the screenshot, @GrandDuc

I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to further investigate. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

I responded to your ticket with the one I just opened with support. Check your messages

gmurad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm in Toronto and also having the same issue, only a problem from windows computers but OSX works fine. ISP is Beanfield

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @gmurad, thanks for raising this with us and sorry to hear that you’re also having the same issue. 

I’ve sent you an email at the email address that your Dropbox account is connected to. Please check your inbox for my latest message so that we can have a more in-depth look on this. 

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gmurad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Interesting that all 3 reports here, Data-SoilOptix, GrandLuc and I are from Canada. 

GrandDuc
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@gmurad wrote:

I'm in Toronto and also having the same issue, only a problem from windows computers but OSX works fine. ISP is Beanfield

Problem was intermittent late yesterday, but down again this morning for my Windows machines. This is really inconvenient for us, we rely on DropBox for our daily workflow.

I have a ticket open with support, but no response yet. This can't be easy to track down.

I suspect there is a something in the dropbox infrastructure that is rejecting traffic originating from Windows, maybe some packet structure or packet content specific to the Windows networking stack. When testing from my network I am able to Telnet www.dropbox.com 443 from OSX but not from Windows (CONNECT FAILED). 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @GrandDuc, thanks for the further info on this, . 

I’ve made sure to pass your additional comments to the specialized member of my team reviewing this matter for you and and can see that they’ve replied to you via email. At your earlier convenience, please have a look at their most recent reply and don’t hesitate to get back to them if the issue persists or if you have any further details that could help troubleshoot.

Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sb10
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem connecting to www.dropbox.com, dropbox.com (but not help.dropbox.com strangely) on Windows systems. Also from Canada (Quebec)

• Laptop Win10 updated, 3rd party AV/FW: timing out as above.
  • Desktop Win7 updated, 3rd party AV/FW: timing out as above.
  • Tablet Win10 updated, no 3rd party AV/FW: timing out as above.
  • Tablet Android: no problem.
  • Virtual machine, Linux Mint (with dedicated NIC): no problem.

(Note: disabling 3rd party AV/FW above doesn't solve the problem)

Exception: Virtual machine, Win7, not updated since 2016 (testing purposes), on dedicated NIC: no problem connecting.

A couple of days ago, I got a recent update on both Win10 systems, and  applied april updates on desktop Win7... coincidence?

/Edit: I'm a home user on DSL, not with "fibrenoire"

Arky-Ark
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@GrandDuc I am also expriencing issues connecting to dropbox. On both browser or the desktop client on windows 10. I am also on Fibrenoire. I have no issue what so ever if i connect through my iphone hotspot (Bell Network). I also hardcode myself to my backup link bypassing fibrenoire network (also on Bell network) and i can connect successfully. Have you opened a ticket with fibrenoire to check if they had anything going on with their routing or other network issue?

Need more support?