Error message when renaming files in the iOS 11 Files App

8 Comments
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Sii
Level 4

Error message when renaming files in the iOS 11 Files App

Hi

I've moved my iWork (Numbers, Pages and Keynote) files from iCloud Drive into Dropbox, now that the Dropbox app plays nicely with Files.

However, for some reason, Dropbox keeps forgetting the filename cases, so my "Expenses.numbers" file keeps being renamed by Dropbox to "expenses.numbers". This happens for pretty much every file I open from Dropbox. And then it changes the filename on my synced computers, removing the capital letter too.

Then, when trying to rename the file back with a capital letter inside Dropbox within Files, it gives me the following cryptic error message:  "The Operation Can't Be Completed. Couldn't communicate with a helper application."

I suspect it could be related to the problem with Dropbox not allowing people to rename files by simply changing between lower/upper case letters? 

I'm using v64.3.4 (latest release at time of writing) on iOS 11.0.1...

8 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Error message when renaming files in the iOS 11 Files App

Hey @Sii

This is curious, indeed, Can you tell me if this occurs only with the leading letter, or would it also change the case of capital letter within the file name? 

Also, are there any file types that this does not occur with? 

Thanks in advance! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Sii
Level 4

Hi Sanchez, thank you for your reply. It seems like any files from Dropbox opened from the Files app (or, opened via Pages/Numbers/Keynote) loses the capital letters when saved back . It happens even with capital letters elsewhere.

Doesn't happen with the equivalent stored on iCloud Drive or Google Drive.

I've only tested with Pages/Numbers/Keynote documents opened from the Files app (at least, until other apps start supporting Files more broadly too then I can test them!)

Level 5

Same over here. If I edit files on my iPad, capitalization is removed.

Dropboxer

Hey guys, 

Just checking in to see how this is going. We’ve had some updates to our app and to iOS recently. Can you try updating to our latest stable version 36.4.22, and to iOS 11.0.3, and let me know if the issue resolves? 

Thanks! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Super User II

I believe @Sanchez means 68.2.2 as the latest stable on iOS. 36.4.22 is the latest stable on the desktop.

Level 5

Hi,

thanks for the reply! I'm on iOS 11.1 Public Beta 3 because my battery life was abysmal on 11.0—the problem persists.

Best regards!

Dropboxer

Hey @frevo

Sorry about that, our latest stable release is 68.2 (thanks @Rich). I would like to get your case into our system, so that our team can have a look. If you’d like, go ahead and write in to our support team for further review. Keep in mind however, that as long as you are using a beta version of iOS, our team will not troubleshoot. Have you tried 11.0.3

Thanks! 

slightly smiling face

Level 5

Thanks for the instructions! I will not go back to 10.0.x because of the battery issues—11.1 is much more stable so far. If the problem persists when 11.1 is officially released, I'll report it. Best regards!