cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Error opening excel and word docs; doesn't appear related to path length

Level 5

We're getting the error - file moved, renamed or deleted - when a User-1 tries to open some excel and doc files.  But it doesn't apeear to be path related as I can resave the file with a longer name -- adding "recovered" onto the end of it  -- and he can open it fine, and we're under the 255 limit.

It does seem to happen more often after User-2 edits the file.  However it just happend today with a file created by User-3.

User-1 is the only one that seems to have an issue.

Tags (2)
10 Replies

Re: Error opening excel and word docs; doesn't appear related to path length

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, are they opening the file on Office Online, or the Excel/Word app on their machine?

Just so you’re aware, the limit is 260 characters, however for Excel it is 218 characters. Could they be over that limit?

This tool would help for quickly checking out all potential files with this and other issues with syncing.

Keep me posted with the results!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Hi, 

Thanks for reply. He's opening it on his machine.  We're no where near 218 characters. I'll check out the link.

Thx!

Level 5

Hi,

I reviewed the link; doesn't appear to apply to our issue.

Thoughts?

Thx!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Have you updated your versions of Word, Excel and so on to the latest versions to ensure there no issues in that respect?

Are these all occurring from one computer, or it doesn’t matter where the edits are taking place?

When the person is editing the file, excluding the message you’re getting about the file being moved or deleted, are they able to edit it normally and then save the file with the same name? If not, what specific error do they get?

Any further info you can provide on the exact way this happens on both ends would help!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 5

Hi again,

This is all happening for User-1 (Craig) only.  He only has one laptop that he uses to access dropbox.  We updated his Word and Excel yesterday and he still had the issue.  He cannot open the files at all.

Other people can access these files with no problem. 

There are other excel and word files on the dropbox that he CAN open with no problem.

He can see the file, but if he tries to open them he gets the following error: 

Sorry, we couldn't find C:\Users\craig.dodge\Dropbox (Ideate Software)\ISW Sales Team\Sales Events\2019 Even Data\Sydney and Melbourne\20190129 Melbourne.xlsx.  Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?

We thought it was an issue with Richard editing the file and then Craig not being able to open afterwards.  But then yesterday, Ana created a new file -- that eveyone else can open -- but when Craig tries to open it, he gets that error.

I can open files, resave it with or without a new name, and then Craig can open them.

Thoughts?

Thx!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If you’re in a Dropbox Business team, you most likely have Smart Sync enabled. 

If this is true, the files Craig is trying to open could be marked as online-only, and there isn’t enough time for the file to download from the site to open it, which could result in this error.

Could you have him mark the files as local in order to see if they open normally afterwards?

Jay

Level 5

That worked!  Thank you!!

So - I just recently took over the IT position and I personally do not use Dropbox much at all.  So, what does this mean for the other users in regards to the settings of Online Only vs Local and Sharing and Syncing?? 

Thanks again!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
The Smart Sync settings are usually by default to be online-only from the admin to the whole team.

However, if a user wants all files be local, they can change it in their settings on their Dropbox desktop application, and it wouldn’t affect anyone else on the team.

In fact, it wouldn’t affect the the whole user account, just that one machine. Since each machine could have different hard disk space, your laptop could be marked as online-only, but your main machine could be local.

Glad to see this was the issue!

Jay

Level 5

Okay - thank you!  So, any ideas why only Craig is having this issue?  Craig and I are physically in the same office (West Coast), other users on the East Coast in and in the UK.  Everyone else can just click and open the files, but Craig couldn't.  

Thank you for your help!!

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Error opening excel and word docs; doesn't appear related to path length
More about this post
10 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post