Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

External Drive failing... need to move dropbox (errors)

Level 2

I'm on Mac. Have DB on an external drive which MacOS says is failing. I keep getting error message trying to move DB to 2 other external drives.

"Some files can't be moved. Please select a new location or close files".

I have no files open. Tried starting. Read all the error possiblities. Can't figure this out. Both external drives have plenty of space. Since I was already on an external drive, does that mean I was using links/alias?

Thanks

Eric

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: External Drive failing... need to move dropbox (errors)

Super User II

Its quite possible and its one of the reasons Dropbox tell you (and infact almost force you) to not use an external drive. 

My suggestion is to abdndon moving via the menu option and simply manually move the data to the main drive and then when you know everything is safe uninstal Dropbox, then reinstall and let it set up a new folder on your machine and put everything in it then.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Not enough space on the internal drive. That's one reason I was forced to go to an external. Over 300gig DBox folder. I already copied the folder contents to another drive just for a safety copy.  Can I just detach the current drive with DB... restart MacPro & DB app? Would it create one then? I could then just copy contents back in?

This gets complicated becase I have a MBP where diff folders are synced (diff than my music production MacPro) due to drive space etc .

Don't want to mess anything up here. Thanks!

Super User II

You are going to have issues due to the external hard drive - my advice, just dont do it. The risk of data loss is HUGE. 

You can just detach Drobox yes. You can unlink via this. You'll then need to relink wherever you want it connecting but you'll need to reset up all your selective sync preferences etc. as it will auto configure to download everything

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

For a few years now I've had my main music production folder "inside" dropbox so I could always have a cloud backup. But I think I will go back to not having it in there so I can run DB off my internal again and not have these issues.

Thanks

Dropboxer

Hey there @ewikman - were you able to resolve your concern in the end? If so, how exactly if I may ask?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

External Drive failing... need to move dropbox (errors)
5 Replies
3 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post